Chapter Thirteen

*A week later*

We go to my nana and papa's house which is 20 minutes away because my papa has cancer and we didn't know how much longer he had. When we got to their house my dad and I sat next to his hospital bed that was moved in their house so he could be at home and sang fire and rain by James Taylor to him because it was his favorite song and I grew up listening to it so I knew every word.

*****

We had to go back home because it was getting late so we said our goodbyes and left. We picked up dinner on our way home and watched The Avengers. When the movie ended it was after ten so I went and took a shower and got ready for bed. When I came out to tell everyone good night Matt, my mom, and my dad were all sitting on the couch and had tears in their eyes.

"What happened?" I asked starting to get worried. My mom motioned for me to sit between her and matt. So I sit down.

"Your nana just called and said...." She starts but starts to cry so she couldn't finish. I knew what she was going to say...... My papa passed away.

"No" I say as tears start streaming down my face. Matt nods his head and wraps his arms around me in a hug. I start to sob in his arms. 'I can't believe he's really gone' I think to my self. I've always been so close to him. He always knew how to make me laugh even in the roughest times he found a way to atleast make me smile. When I'm finally able to calm down I tell everyone goodnight.

I lay in my bed just staring at the sealing as it starts to pour down rain. I start thinking about all of the good times I ever had with him and burst into tears again. I calm down and look at my clock 11:30 it reads. I toss and turn but can't to go sleep. I wonder if Hayes is awake? Who cares I need someone to comfort me who isn't Matt or my parents. Since my window is next to his I sneak out and on to his balcony, I tap on his window. He comes half asleep, he rubs his eyes and looks at me, realizing it's me he opens it and I climb inside. Noticing I'm soaked he hands me some clothes and I go and change in his bathroom. I come out and he gestures me to come and cuddle with him.

"What's wrong?" He asks.

"My papa passed today." I say and burst into tears yet again.

"I'm so sorry." He says in a soothing voice playing with my hair. "He's in a better place now. He's not suffering anymore."

"I know. It's just hard to let him go."

"I know baby. I know." He kisses the top of my head and soon I end up falling asleep in his arms.

A/N I know most of ya'll won't read this but I just wanted to say that I dedicate this chapter to my papa who passed away 7 years ago yesterday. It may not be the same date in the book as it is now but in real life he passed away 7 years ago. I was only about 7 when he passed but I was still really close to him and I miss him very much so I wanted to do something special for him and dedicated this chapter to him. It my not be a very long chapter but it gets to the point. Thank ya'll so much for reading this and all of the support! I am so incredibly blessed!

~Alex😘