Chapter 6 ~ "I Don't Have All Day"

I slept like the dead last night, I wake up in bed at almost nine and sigh, slipping out from under my sheets. I need something to eat, I'm literally starving. 

I pull on a sweater over my shorts and t-shirt, sliding on my slippers and I look at myself in the mirror over my dresser before stepping outside.

I can hear voices down the hall in the kitchen so I make a trip to the washroom first. After I finish my quick morning routine I step back out into the hall and make my way to the kitchen.

Walker's cooking with his back facing me and Dustin and Mark look extremely hungover, slumped onto the peninsula.

"Morning." I say quietly and Dustin perks up, walking over quickly throwing his arm over my shoulders.

"Annie, you're the best." He insists, unnecessarily kissing my head and I furrow my eyebrows. "Those cookies were awesome last night, thank you."

"I think we ate most of them actually." Mark admits and I lean on the island. "Sorry."

"That's okay, I made them for everyone." 

"Let's not forget they came from a package before we praise a little too hard." Walker mumbles, turning off the stove.

He brings two plates of eggs and bacon to the island and grabs himself a third one. I sigh and walk around into the kitchen to make myself something, since Walker once again has decided not to include me.

He's left the kitchen in a state which really bugs me, I cleaned it spotless last night, I clean it up every time I use it and it feels like I'm always cleaning mess that isn't mine.

But I won't say anything about it, not when I'm the newest roommate. I just sigh and open the dishwasher to unload it.

"So how was your guys' thing last night?" I ask, trying painfully to make conversation.

"It was cool, sorry we didn't say anything. It wasn't a big thing, it was just some of the guys we knew and we just kind of drank and talked, it wouldn't have been that fun for you. There weren't any other girls there." Mark tells me and I shrug. "Plus, you looked kind of tired after your shift."

"I actually really was." I admit, knowing I enjoyed my sleep last night. 

"It wasn't a party or anything, plus we felt bad about just leaving like that. You were in the shower though so we just sent you a message." Dustin adds, shovelling food into his mouth and I shrug.

"It's really alright, I don't mind." I assure them, finishing up unloading the dishwasher. I might just have cereal or a granola bar, I don't really want to cook anything. 

I can hear footsteps on the metal stairs down to our place and everyone turns their head to see what the noise is.

"Knock knock!" I hear in a high pitched voice as our apartment door opens. I turn and watch four girls step through the threshold, they were all giggling and talking and I was just confused. They all looked like carbon copies of each other, fake blonde hair with highlights, curled to perfection or perfectly straightened. They all wore some article of clothing from Lululemon, whether it was a tank, leggings, bike shorts, a sweater. The second they stepped inside it was like the scent of Victoria Secret followed them.

"Hey." Mark says with a chuckle. "What do you guys want?" 

"We're bored and we just wanted to see what you were all up to." The first one says, looping her arms around his shoulders and he tries to shrug out of them.

"Yeah." Another one adds, coming to the edge of the island to stand next to walker. "Hey." She whispers to him in this breathy voice and he stares dead ahead at the wall. I just keep loading the dishwasher, hardly noticing what any of them have to say. I normally got along with other girls, but something told me I wasn't anything like them and we wouldn't mesh.