Chapter 1

Fuck you, Ashton Carter, Thea thought bitterly to herself.

The son of a bitch had broken up with her on New Year's Eve and his explanation was 'it's not me, it's you.'

Gritting her teeth, her grip on the empty wine glass tightened. For a second she thought it was going to shatter in her palm but fortunately, it didn't.

What really bothered her the most was that the way he had insulted her very being. She didn't care much for him but the breakup had her questioning everything about herself. Or maybe she was just in a shitty place right now and this was just the big red cherry on top.

Letting out an exasperated sigh, she firmly set the empty glass down onto the table, getting the bartender's attention.

"More?" The bartender asked. Thea nodded, not meeting his eyes. She could feel his pitiful eyes on her as he refilled her glass.

She watched the glass gradually fill for the 11th time. It was a bad habit of hers, keeping track of every little thing. It got tiring at times but it was an uncontrollable habit and she couldn't help herself. It was amazing how she managed to count every single glass she had even in her intoxicated state.

Her body was warm from all the booze but she was numb and that was all that mattered. She no longer felt as angry as she was before and the numbing feeling was almost soothing.

Her relationship with Ashton had only lasted a couple of months but Thea couldn't help but feel frustrated. Especially at his last words. He had pinned all the blame on her when in reality he was partly to blame too.

Bringing the drink up to her lips to take another large gulp, she lifted her gaze, watching the game on the flat-screen TV that hung above the bartender's head. Although she couldn't care less about football, she focused on the game.

At this rate, she was going to empty her bank account.

It was all so pathetic. She had a bad habit of turning to alcohol during the worse times, drinking as if booze was the answer to all her problems. If this continued, she was going to end up being a lonely old hag who drank all day and she was perfectly content with it.

Watching the other team score a touchdown, she heard a small cheer from the table far behind her who was also watching the game. She sipped her 11th glass, her head reminding her of all the consequences of alcohol.

Maybe it was her fault like Ashton said. She did have a knack for pushing people away.

It hurt her ego to admit it, but it was partially her fault. Neither of the two tried putting in much effort since they were both always too busy. Their relationship had been doomed since the beginning and deep inside, Thea knew all along.

"I hate my fucking life." She muttered to herself, out loud, closing her eyes for a second. She was sure that no one had heard her talking to herself but the voice beside her said otherwise.

"Woah, babe. You're not suicidal right?"

Immediately opening her eyes, she abruptly turned her head to the sound of the voice. She narrowed her eyes on the man who had sat next to her, before diverting her attention back to the TV. A small frown appeared on Thea's lips as she glanced over at the man once again.

"I'm not." She assured the stranger. Her words were more slurred than usual but they were still understandable. There was a short silence and she turned her focus away from the stranger.

Pursing her lips, she could feel the throb in her head, a result of the abnormally large amount of alcohol she had consumed in the last hour.

She hadn't noticed how attractive he was. Sure, she was drunk as hell but she knew a hot guy when she came across one.