Chapter Twenty One - Batty

I tossed and turned, sweating. Why did the AC have to break? I looked at the clock - 4:37 a.m. Tossing the blankets aside, I stood, walking into the bathroom, pausing to look at Mopsy, fast asleep, her feet twitching. In the bathroom, I reached for a cup for some water, hoping it would cool and calm me down. I changed my mind last minute, reaching for my toothbrush instead. Better to just start my day now, instead of trying and failing to fall asleep for the next three hours. 

After brushing my teeth, pulling my hair back into a ponytail, and putting on some coffee, I sat down at the piano, my security blanket. I started playing random chords, messing around, when an idea hit. I'd composed songs before, for the band, and a few times in college. Those sucked. Take my word for it. One thing I hadn't done is composed a classical piece. The pieces started falling together in my head. Open with a chord, then a run. Maybe have a descant over top? I pulled my notebook with blank sheet music towards me. I'm feeling like it's minor. Definitely a minor key. My fingers ran across the keys as the sun rose gracefully, light streaming in through the curtains.

It was almost 10 when I remembered my coffee. I had a few bars done, but it felt wrong. Something was missing. Deciding to take a break, I put the coffee in the fridge to make it even colder, and placed a pop tart in the toaster. Crossing the apartment, I picked up Mopsy from the piano bench, where she'd joined me a few hours ago. Nuzzling my face into her fur, I took a deep breath. Then promptly sneezed. 

"Someone is shedding! My goodness girl, you need to be brushed." The toaster dinged, and I tried, and failed, to get the pop tart out without burning my fingers. Pop tart, iced coffee, and bunny balanced carefully in hand, I sat on the floor, breathing in the air. I'd left the windows open, and the delicious smell of spring was everywhere. Today was going to be a good day, I could tell. I could clean, write music, or just sit and enjoy life. The last option sounded most appealing. After almost burning my mouth on the pop tart, I stepped outside onto my balcony and sank down on the little chair I had out there. Mopsy darted out, and I panicked. She could easily squeeze between the bars and fall to her death. Picking up my mischevious little bunny, I set her back inside, closing the door firmly. I'd learned my lesson after Yaz and Carla. Yaz and Carla. Arundel. I hadn't thought about that place in a long time. Little memories started flashing back. Playing piano with Jeffery. Rosalind's wedding. Trying to learn the choreography for Rosalind's wedding. That was hilarious. I smiled, remembering Skye almost falling on her face, unable to do a turn. I wasn't much better though. Then, older memories, ones from long ago, started floating up through my concious. Chasing frogs. Lilies. Hound. They were images, rather than scenes. I saw a ladybug on a flower. Something about a bull? Butterfly wings. The sun and gentle breeze soon made me slip from my dream-like reverie into sleep. 

I awoke to something cold spilling on my lap. It was my iced coffee; I must have relaxed too much. Cursing quietly, I stood, set the mug down, and went inside to change. As I was putting on actual clothing - linen shorts and an oversized tee-shirt - my phone buzzed. It was Camila. 

Pedro and I made too much food for last night. Want to come finish it off? She knew I'd say yes. Pedro made the best food ever. Camila, well, she meant well. Usually, Pedro put her on the beverages. She made a killer virgin sangria. 

Sure. Who else is coming?

Just you and Penny. Figured we coujld kick Pedro out and have a girls night

See you in a few. I need to clean up a coffee mess, lol

After a few minutes, she replied.

Bring some old clothing you don't mind tearing up. I have an idea...

^^^^^^^^^^

Authors Note

Hi guysssss! Good to be back. I decided to give Batty some alone time in this chapter, so sorry if you found it boring. Next chapter will be more fun though. I hope. I have ideas, it'll take me a sec to actually make them all make sense. I also need to go back and re-read my own books, as I realized how much stuff I don't remember. 

Also, I have had three different accounts post links to inappropriate sites or photos. I have deleted them all and reported the accounts, but please please keep an eye out and in the name of all things holy, PLEASE DON'T DO THIS. I understand that some content on this website isn't exactly PG, but this book is, and I want to make a safe space where people can enjoy stories about characters they love, and that's hard to do when people are posting links to porn websites and inappropriate photos. Thank you so much, love you all.

QOTD: Any plans over spring break? My family is going to a colonial villiage that shall remain unnamed, for privacy reasons.

Comment, vote, and tell me what you think

Lots of love,

Sammie K