Chapter Fourteen- Jeffery

I smoothed my hair down, again, and paced the hallway anxiously. I didn't know why. Batty and I were arriving at the restaurant together, so there was no danger of having a repeat of The Date. I turned and paced the other direction, then checked the clock. Then checked to make sure it wasn't broken. I heard a low whine. Scout stood in the bedroom doorway, his face reflecting mine, anxious, worried, nervous. I strode over to him and stooped to pick him up. He relaxed, and I sank down to the floor, cradling him. 

"Sorry boy." He licked my face, then barked. "No barking," I said, laying a hand over his nose. He jerked his head back and licked me again. I grinned, but my smile soon faltered as I felt something wet spread over the carpet. I looked down, startled. Tracy had peed on the carpet and looked pleased with herself! I scooped up both dogs, deposited them in the laundry room, closing the door behind me, and cleaned up the mess as best I could. Holding the wet rags in one hand, I opened the laundry room door, and groaned. I had left a basket of clean laundry on the floor, only now the laundry that had been in the basket was now spread all over the floor. And to top things, Scout and Tracy had made themselves a litter box out of a sheet, and a bed out of two of my shirts, and was that a pair of boxers Scout was using as a chew toy? I threw the rags into the dirty laundry, then set about picking up the not-so-clean laundry and throwing it into the washing machine. I didn't mind dog hair, but I can't remember the last time I did so much as to sweep that floor. When I got to the boxers I paused, then tossed them into the trash. They resembled cabbage more than anything else. The doorbell rang as I pressed the start button on the washing machine. I looked at the clock, startled. Twelve minutes had passed while I was cleaning up, and Batty was right on time (surprise, surprise). I looked down at my dogs, who wagged their tails, and looked immensly pleased with themselves.

"Good dogs." I said, tossing them both a treat. I hadn't liked what they had done to distract me, but it had worked, all butterflies, moths, and other small winged creatures that had temporarily resided in my stomach were long gone. I opened the door, and froze.  Batty looked at me shyly, her hair swinging around to cover her face. Instinctivly, I reached out and brushed it back. "You look great." I said, and it was true. In a simple dark green dress and short boots, Batty looked like a model. Only, not fake and photoshopped. Nope, she was real, and I felt a surge of pride, knowing that I would be her date tonight. And I could only hope that what would happen tonight, this whole going out thing, would become a regular occurance.

^^^^^^^^^^

Authors Note

So, to clarify something really quickly: "Cabbage" is a term used by seamstresses, and it is all the leftover scraps of fabric. For those of you who were confused.

Also, I'm not sure if the next chapter should be told from the P.O.V of Batty or Jeffery. So, which would you prefer?

QOTD: How would you feel if I were to enter "Together at Last" in the Wattys? (Because, if I did, it would mean I would speand more time editing that story than updating this one)

Comment, vote, and tell me what you think

Lots of love,

Sammie K