Chapter Sixteen-Part Two

Obi-Wan and Garen stepped into the arena together, just as they had the previous two years.

"Any chance you'll go easy on me?" Garen asked as they awaited their introduction.

Obi-Wan laughed. "You want me to threaten my winning streak by going easy on you?"

Garen shook his head and laughed. "Well, when you put it that way, I suppose I wouldn't want you to ruin your reputation. You have everyone convinced that you're invincible in this tournament."

Obi-Wan grinned just as the lights in the arena dimmed.

Knight Kavor Durmal stepped to the center of the arena and ignited his yellow-bladed saber. "We've arrived at the final match of the Knight's tournament. It is to be a rematch of the previous two years final match. Join me in welcoming our two competitors, Knight Garen Muln and the two-time defending champion, Knight Obi-Wan Kenobi!"

The arena full of Jedi jumped to their feet as one and the cheering was thunderous as Garen and Obi-Wan walked to the center of the competition floor together.

Anakin, Tru and Darra were clapping loudly. Anakin was yelling Obi-Wan's name, showing his support of his teacher. Tru and Darra were cheering for Garen, hoping he could dethrone the defending champion.

Obi-Wan and Garen took their positions.

Knight Durmal stepped between them. "Knight Muln, Knight Kenobi, bow."

Each man bowed; Obi-Wan with a huge grin on his face as the lights came up, giving everyone a clear view of the two competitors.

Garen knew his only chance was to attack quickly and precisely. So he did. He struck first.

Obi-Wan handled the strikes easily. He was willing to let Garen tire himself out before he made his own move to end the match.

"Come on, Obi, fight back," Garen taunted as he twirled his orange-bladed saber stylishly.

Obi-Wan simply laughed as he too began twirling his saber. Their sabers glanced off one another delicately. Neither man was trying to win yet, they were just having fun, putting on a show for the other Jedi.

"What's he waiting for?" Tru asked Anakin.

Before Anakin could answer, Obi-Wan ducked a swing from Garen and then launched himself into the air, twisting over Garen's head. Garen lowered himself into a tuck to avoid a swipe at his neck that came from above as Obi-Wan flew over him.

Obi-Wan's feet had barely touched the floor before he swung his saber in a low sweep, aimed for Garen's legs. The taller man leapt into the air, avoiding the strike and levying one of his own at Obi-Wan's head. Obi-Wan ducked into a crouch, his blade held horizontal above his head, parrying Garen's strike.

Soon both men were working for the advantage. Garen pressed his attack high, using his height advantage as he always did. Obi-Wan was using his acrobatic ability to his advantage, changing direction in med-air at times, making it that much more difficult for Garen to even keep track of him.

"He's gonna win," Anakin told his friends.

Getting tired after nearly an hour of back and forth, dealing with Obi-Wan and his changing styles of combat, Garen was looking for a way to end the match. He'd never had such a hard time handling his best friend in a duel. But as he watched Obi-Wan close his eyes and felt him reach out with the Force, he knew that he wasn't dueling the same man that he did last year. Watching Obi-wan come at him using only the Force for guidance and not his eyes, he realized the difference. Obi-Wan had actual combat experience to draw from. He'd fought an opponent that wielded a lightsaber with deadly accuracy, and Obi-Wan had lived through the encounter.