Chapter Seventeen-Part One

500 Republica

/

It was quite late when Anakin finally managed to leave the Temple and make his way to Padme's residence. He entered the apartment as quietly as he could, hoping to avoid waking his wife if she was already asleep.

He passed C-3PO in the hallway that led to the bedroom and found Artoo not much further along. A few beeps and low whistles signaled Artoo's greeting to the young Jedi.

He patted the domed head as he entered the bedroom he rarely got to share with Padme. Slowly closing the manual door behind him, he crept closer to the bed, eager to simply look upon her.

Her dark hair was fanned out across her pillow, her eyes closed in dreamless sleep. Anakin reached out and drew a finger over her bare arm.

Padme awakened then at the touch of her husband. "Anakin. I tried to stay awake, hoping you'd come to me, but..."

Anakin sat down on the edge of the bed. "Shh, my love, I'm here now."

Padme drew him into a kiss, her arms wrapping around his neck, his going around her waist. For several long moments they just sat there together, lips softly caressing while hands brought comfort through gentle touches.

"Did you win?" Padme asked as they finally pulled back.

He shook his head. "No. Ferus defeated me in the final."

Padme's eyes widened, and then clouded with sympathy. Anakin laughed.

"No need for that, love," he admonished her softly. "He fought better than I did, and I understand where my failure was. Next time, when the battle is real, I won't make the same mistake."

He kissed her again and then stood. He removed his thick robe and placed it across the back of a chair and walked out onto the veranda. He breathed in the cool night air and enjoyed the lights.

"I wish I could spend more time here with you," he remarked softly as he turned and walked back into the room. He sat down again and pulled off his boots and unclipped his lightsaber from his utility belt and set both the blade and the belt on the bedside table. His tabard, over and undertunic followed. Quickly, his Jedi clothing was gone and he was clad only in sleep pants.

He climbed into bed and pulled Padme into his arms, her head going immediately to his bare chest. She snuggled closer to him and placed a gentle kiss on his chest.

"This is how it should always be," she said softly as Anakin tightened his arms around her. "Just you and me here, together."

"Maybe someday it can be that way," he told her. "But for now, it has to be like this, a secret."

Padme smiled a bit. "Secrets of a Jedi."

Anakin chuckled before bending his head and pressing a soft kiss to her lips. They settled down then, closing their eyes, content in each other's arms.

/

The Next Morning

Jedi Temple

Siri hadn't slept well. She'd been restless and plagued by dreams; dreams of her son crying. She'd dressed quickly and made her way to the crèche, hoping Zakk was awake.

"Mind if I take on a walk with me?" she asked Zakk's crèche Master after chatting for a few moments.

Master Hyavor smiled. "Not at all, Master Tachi. I've sensed the connection between yourself and young Zakk from the beginning. I dare say that once your Ferus is knighted, young Zakk will be your next apprentice."