Chapter Eighteen-Part One

"Count Dooku has been located," Windu announced.

"What?" Obi-Wan whispered, shocked.

A quick flash of anger crossed his face as well as Anakin's. Both men were remembering the injuries inflicted upon them by Dooku at the Battle of Geonosis. While their physical wounds had healed, their emotional ones were still close to the surface.

"Chancellor Palpatine has had people searching for Dooku, and he's been tracked to Bakura," they were told. "The two of you are being sent to apprehend him and bring him here to Coruscant where he will stand trial for crimes against the Republic."

"If he won't come peacefully, Master?" Obi-Wan asked, his tone surprising both himself and Anakin with its icy sound.

"Do what must be done, Master Kenobi," Windu answered. "Dooku must stand trial and be held accountable for his crimes."

"When do we leave, Master?" questioned Anakin.

"Within the hour would be best," Windu advised. "We don't want Dooku to slip through our fingers again."

Both men nodded.

"May the Force be with you," Windu intoned seriously.

"May the Force be with you, Master Windu," Obi-Wan and Anakin replied in unison.

They turned together and exited the Council chamber. The moment they entered the lift, Anakin turned to his mentor.

"I have to say goodbye to Padme, Master," he said quietly.

Obi-Wan nodded, but didn't reply. His expression was unreadable, but his arms were crossed over his chest and Anakin noticed that his breathing was faster than normal.

"Master, are you alright?" he asked, concerned.

The blue glow of Force lightening colliding against his lightsaber swam in Obi-Wan's vision as he and Dooku circled one another. Then came the red glow of Dooku's saber, shadowing his evil face in a sinister light.

"Master?"

Dooku was fast. He blocked every single attack Obi-Wan mounted against him. Before he knew it, the smell of burning flesh assaulted Obi-Wan's senses.

"Master? Obi-Wan!" Anakin called.

Obi-Wan turned to look at his apprentice. "What?"

"I called you three times," Anakin explained. "Where were you just now?"

"I was..." he began. "I was back on Geonosis for a moment."

Anakin nodded understandingly. Though he never said anything to the older man, Anakin knew that Obi-Wan still had occasional nightmares about their encounter with Dooku on Geonosis. Obi-Wan would never admit it, but Anakin had been awakened several times in the middle of the night by his mentor's screams.

"We'll have our chance, Master," Anakin replied. "We will apprehend Dooku so he can stand trial."

Obi-Wan nodded slowly. "Yes. So he can stand trial."

Anakin didn't notice the momentary look of anger that crossed Obi-Wan's face.

/

Siri was waiting for her husband when he returned to his and Anakin's quarters. He smiled as he crossed the room and sat next to her on the sofa.

"What did Master Windu want?" she asked without preamble.

Obi-Wan sighed as he ran a hand through his hair. He knew she wasn't going to like what he had to say.