8 At home

Roman POV

"We're here, baby girl." I said softly as I parked in front of the house with the address Stefanie had entered into my navigation system.

"That was probably the longest hour of my life. I am truly thankful to you for bringing me here. Your help allowed me to relax and I'm glad I didn't freak out." she replied as she took my hand firmly in hers.

"I'm always glad when I can help you. Now... this is where you live?" I asked as I glanced at the large house that was directly in front of us.

"Yes, it was my parents' house. This is where I grew up. They both worked from home, so they needed a lot of space. Did I tell you that my father was an artist? He had his atelier in an adjoining building. He did everything from painting to working with wood and stone. He even experimented with metal. And Mom had her office in the house, too," she explained.

"Yes, you did. I'm sure they'd both be proud that you're still living here, and I'm sure your mother would be thrilled to know that you've followed in her footsteps as an interior designer." I replied as I lifted our joined hands and pressed a kiss to the back of her hand.

"Who knows... Maybe." she said, sounding very thoughtful as she looked at the house.

"Are you alright?" I asked.

"It's just..... it's a lot of what I'm facing now. I haven't been here for six weeks. Haven't worked for six weeks. I have to get a car and I need new clients too. But that's just the tip of the iceberg." She replied with a deep sigh.

"What do you mean?" I wanted to know.

"Oh... forget about it. It's nothing important. Come with me." she avoided me before getting out of the car and going to the trunk to take out her suitcase.

I also got out and immediately took the suitcase out of her hand. Something was bothering her. I just wasn't sure what it was or how I could get her to talk to me about it.

"It feels strange to be home again," Steffi said quietly after she unlocked the door and entered. 

I saw her eyes wander through the beautiful open house. My eyes followed her as she stroked her fingers over a dresser. Slowly I followed her into the living room where she put her purse on the coffee table and took out a large envelope and placed it on the table. Then she sat down on the couch and tapped the seat next to her.

Smiling, I sat down next to her and put an arm around her shoulder. Immediately she relaxed. Steffi laid her head against my chest. She took a deep breath before putting her arms around me.

"You don't seem very happy to be home," I remarked.

"I know. I guess I'm a little overwhelmed. It might take me a few days to adjust." she replied as she lifted her head and looked at me.

What I saw when she looked at me was worry. She tried to suppress it, but I knew it was there. It worried me to see her so... sad. I put my free hand to her cheek and gently traced the lines of her face with my thumb. Her mouth formed into a smile as she nestled against my hand. Her blue eyes looked at me expectantly.

Stefanie leaned in and I leaned in as well. When our lips met, she sighed. As if she was somehow relieved. Like I was taking away an unknown pain from her. Slowly I pulled her closer to me until I could finally pull her onto my lap. Steffi wrapped her arms around my neck. We stayed like that for a while until we ran out of breath. Steffi detached her lips from mine, but held my face firmly between her palms as she rested her forehead against mine.

Slowly she opened her beautiful eyes. Her blue orbs glowed and I forgot everything around me. I gently stroked her back, feeling every curve of her body. With every second that passed, she drew me into her spell more deeply. It was something I couldn't or wouldn't resist.

But then that moment was interrupted as the door opened and we heard Leo's voice echoing through the house. Not a second later, we heard the pitter patter of small paws on the hardwood floor. A fur ball jumped up on the couch and wagged its tail like crazy.

"Oh hey my baby! I missed you so much!" gasped Steffi as she picked up her beloved dog.

Immediately her face began to light up and she giggled like a little girl as the white dog licked her across the face. It was clear that the little man had missed his mom a lot too.

"Ro, let me introduce you. This is Reese. Reese, this is Roman. He saved Mommy." she said to the ball of fur in her arms.

I lifted my hand and allowed Reese to sniff it briefly. He licked my hand before I petted him.

"Hey, little guy. You're cute." I said.

"He is, isn't he? And he likes you. Love at first sight. Just like-" said Stefanie, but then bit her lip.

"Just like... what?" I asked, looking at her with wide eyes.

"Hey guys.... oh, I'm sorry about that. I didn't mean to interrupt." we heard Leo say.

"Hi Leo. Um... thanks for bringing him home." said Steffi after clearing her throat.

Oh what the fuck! I wanted to hear what she was going to say. Why did we have to be interrupted just at that moment?