20 Confused

Roman POV

Three words. Three little words that shattered a whole world, a whole universe. She no longer knew who I was. The woman I loved with everything I had in me didn't have the slightest idea who I was. I swallowed against the lump in my throat and tried desperately to suppress the tears I felt rising.

"I am Roman. I'm your boyfriend, Steffi. You were injured in the head and are in the hospital," I explained softly and gently squeezed her hand. I was surprised that she did not withdraw it from me. Hopefully that was a good sign.

However, it was very hard for me to stay calm, but I knew that it wouldn't be good for her to get upset. The doctor had said that this could happen. And if it did, it probably wouldn't last. Now that it really happened, it still hit me like a ton of bricks.

"I... my... boyfriend? Really? But..." she began, clearly confused.

"Don't worry about that for now. I'll call the doctor so he can check you out. Everything's going to be fine. Don't get upset, okay?" I said quickly to calm her down and then pressed the call button.

"What's the last thing you remember, Stefanie?" I wanted to know.

"Um.... it's all pretty... blurry... I remember I took Reese to the groomer. And he was pretty pouty because he doesn't like being bathed. If you're really my boyfriend, then I guess you know who Reese is?" she replied, her blue orb boring holes in my eyes.

She was probably trying to figure out if I really knew her. I couldn't blame her. She was probably pretty confused at the moment. Personally, I couldn't even imagine what it must be like not to remember certain things.

"Yes, of course. Reese is your little Maltese. The sweetest yet most stubborn dog in this world. And I think it was a sweet idea to name him after your favorite candy." I replied in a little more detail. Maybe these little things helped her to trust me.

Stefanie POV

My head was pounding like crazy. And the fact that I was in the hospital didn't make it any better. Desperately I tried to remember what had happened, but... it was all... blank.

"How old is Reese?" I asked the man who was supposed to be my boyfriend.

This should have been weird. He was a handsome man, no doubt. But there was more. The way he looked at me and the way he held my hand. How softly he spoke to me. Somehow there was a familiarity. The look in his eyes was full of concern, but at the same time he radiated such love. And when he squeezed my hand and drew little circles on the back of my hand with his thumb, it started to tingle under my skin. It was like my body was remembering something that my mind had forgotten. Instinctively I had the feeling that I could trust this man.

Still, I wanted to find out with a few simple questions if he really knew me. And it helped to ease my mind a little. But that could also be because of those warm, brown eyes.

"He's almost three years old now. Why?" replied Roman.

"Oh..." I said simply.

"What's wrong?" he wanted to know as his worry spiked.

"At that time he was just 1 1/2 years old," I explained and immediately felt panic rising in me.

Before Roman could say anything back, the door opened and a doctor and several other people came into the room. They asked me countless questions. Then they examined me for what felt like an eternity. It was more exhausting than I had imagined. At one point I had to tell them that it was too much for me. Because I already felt that I was close to tears.

Roman POV

I was glad that Steffi told the doctors that it was too much for her. I could see that she was completely exhausted. And if she hadn't said anything, I would have. It hurt so much to see her so fragile and not being able to do anything about it.

It didn't take long for her to fall back asleep. Maybe she just needed more time.

When I was sure Stefanie was fast asleep, I followed the doctor outside. I wanted, needed answers.

"Will she regain her memories?" I asked straight out.

"There's no way to tell at this point. But I would strongly assume so. Her injury needs to heal first. Then we can say more. I suspect that the position of the brain hemorrhage is the cause of the amnesia. Once it has reabsorbed, we will reevaluate the situation. It may be that Miss King will regain her memory then.

It is very important not to pressure her. Do not press her for information unless it is absolutely necessary. We will discharge Miss King from the hospital as soon as possible. Her familiar surroundings can help bring back memories. Smells, music. Her favorite foods.

 You have to be patient, Mr. Reigns. I know it's hard, but we'll do everything we can. Answer her questions. Show her photos. But without asking for anything. But please don't expect her to remember anything right away. It may be that certain pieces of memory will be lost forever," the doctor explained.

I understood what he said, but it was very difficult for me to accept it. I wanted my love back. I wanted to be able to kiss her and hold her in my arms. I wanted her to know who I was.