Chapter 20

Elena

I was going to kill him. Where's a fork when you need one?

I walk towards the school trying to ignore him the best I could but he touches me, I'm roundhouse kicking his ass.

I was so close, so close to entering the school without a problem. Everyone was looking at me but no one tried anything so I found that a win.

Before I could get inside, I heard someone calling my name. I groaned before stopping in my tracks and turning around to see Allen with his stupid smirk on his face.

How would it feel to smack that smirk off his face?

He wouldn't be smirking then, would he?

He sped up as I turned around, beginning to walk because I was about to slam my fist into his neck if he came one more step closer to me.

"There's our singing tragedy." Allen cheers, making my hands clench together harder than attended. He's trying to bait me. Make me angry enough to hit and possibly ruin my chance of getting into Juilliard when it's just begun. He doesn't like to fight but he will if he has to. It's all clear on his face and when he tries to hide it, it makes it clearer.

"Our overjoyed rich failure. That's what you're scared of, right? Failing and knowing you aren't the best."

His glare was enough for me to know I'd won this battle and he knew now that I wasn't going to let him push me on this. Not my future. That's the only reason why I've been fighting her for so long.

No one knows the full capacity of being trapped in a cage of emotions until they've faced the demons that haunt them through the night.

I've been trapped longer than I can remember but the demon in me was trying to scourge its way out of me.

No one knew who Elena James was.

No one knew what she endured.

No one knew she was more than just a nice girl.

But being the nice girl fused into my skin and let people walk over me because it was easier than letting them know I could snap them like twigs.

Being hidden felt more calming and fighting was chaotic.

Allen stomped away from me like a child who got denied a present from their parents.

I drag a tired hand down my face before walking inside the building. My backpack over my shoulder as I slide into the crowd of annoying repulsive teenagers. Passing the group known as the most popular kids in the school made me roll my eyes. The only reason they are popular is that they bully and cheat to feel superior to others. To themselves. It's just a test of control.

But I keep my opinions to myself and look to see Jessica in the middle of it all. She was in her cheer uniform. The colors were black, red, and white. The uniform was a full bright red and the words 'HellCats' was in the middle of the shirt in bold black with white highlights around it. Her bare stomach was revealed and Kevin had his arm wrapped around her waist, claiming his territory. The bright red skirt barely left any imagination showing her bare pale skin.

Everybody wanted her and she loved it. I'm more of a loner. Well, I didn't choose to be one but it's going well so far.

Her eyes met mine and her smile faded away and a cold glance was sent my way. I gripped the strap of my bag, breaking eye contact, and tried to blend into the crowd like I always did before I got wrapped into her jealousy.

I didn't have time today. I needed to see Ms. Rivers. She wasn't just the music director but also a guidance counselor. I passed the dance room but soon came to a stop once I heard music coming from the room.