(26) 𝐨𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐠𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐝

☠︎︎☠︎︎☠︎︎☠︎︎☠︎︎☠︎︎☠︎︎☠︎︎☠︎︎☠︎︎☠︎︎☠︎︎

"WE HAVE LOST SEVEN OF OUR OWN. But we can't allow a single radical seelie to define the entire Downworld, anymore then we can allow valentine to define all shadowhunters. So, to restore unity with our allies, I will be holding regular meetings here with the downworld leaders of New York." Alec explains as he stands in the main room in front of everyone. Adelaide was smiling as she knew how much being head of the institute meant to him.

"I'm all for unity, but does he have to bring them here?" Lindsay mumbles to the man next to her with a roll of her eyes. Adelaide glanced at them, squinting her eyes.

"What do you expect? He's dating a warlock." The guy responds with a scoff making Adelaide blood boil. None of Alecs decisions were because they were together. He was his own person.

"I still can't believe Alec Lightwood is in charge." Lindsay says  as she shakes her head.

"Just wait a week, it'll be someone else." Duncan says with a smirk, laughing lightly but by this time, Isabelle has had enough.

"Hey." Isabelle catches their attention, a glare on her face. "Show some respect." She snaps at them and they just stand there awkwardly.

"And that warlock is standing right here." Adelaide says as her jaw clenches. "A warlock who is a better shadowhunter then you will ever wish to be." She sneers before rolling her eyes and moving over to where Jace was standing.

"Please, let's make the downworlders feel welcome." Alec states as he looks around the room before clearing his throat. "And on that note, I'd like to welcome the newest shadowhunter to the New York Institute who transferred from Los Angeles." He says as he gestures for someone to come over to him. Adelaide feels her heart drop as she sees who it was. "Nick Torres." Alec finished as he glanced towards the man. Nick only let his eyes scan the crowd before they landed on Adelaide. He only gives a smirk as he tilts his head at her. Adelaide's blood boils as she clenches her fists before turning away from him.

"Look at you. In charge for a week and you're already shaking things up." Jace says once Alec makes his way over to them. "I think this cabinet things a good idea." He admits as he puts his hand on Alec's shoulder but the man only sighs.

"Yeah, I'm not sure everyone agrees." He mutters as he shakes his head.

"Nick Torres is the transfer?" Adelaide asks as her eyes bore into Alecs. He furrows his eyebrows but nods his head.

"You know him?" Jace asks as both he and Alec stares at her curiously.

"What makes you say that?" She asks as she crosses her arms. Jace only raises his eyebrows at her.