Chapter Thirty-Six: Discovery and Paris Slow Peril

{———}

Marinette smiled as she waited for her Uncle and Aunt, Tikki was nuzzling into her hair, talking to her softly.

However, Tikki's mood soon shifted, worry mixing into her.

"Marinette, I think—I think something's wrong," She said in a confident yet small voice.

Her little eyebrows were furrowed in deep concern. Marinette knew that Tikki would not play around with something like this, leaving Marinette to believe it was true.

Marinette paused. There was a possibility that something had happened in Paris and she would not be able to find out. She had lost her phone sometime when she was asleep. She assumed that it had been taken from her, as well as all the other trinkets in her pockets.

Luckily, she had not held anything important on her at the time—besides the earrings, which made her worry, but they had not been taken.

Marinette was sure that her hair hid her earrings during that time.

She could ask someone for their phone. If she did, she could look up the Akuma Alert app, and see if everything in Paris was fine.

That way, not only she could be reassured, but Tikki could as well.

It seemed like a good idea, so she pursed her lips and waved someone over.

"Could I use your phone? I want to call some of my relatives," She asked in a flustered tone, her real anxiousness seeping into her voice.

She knew that it would be suspicious for her to be asking about Paris and looking up the Akuma Alert app when she did not even live there, so she lied.

The woman looked at her weirdly, suspicion lingering on her face, before she nodded, smiling slightly at her.

Marinette understood her suspicion, this was Gotham, and you could never be too cautious here.

Then she walked away, most likely to give Marinette privacy, though, she did look over her shoulder at Marinette a couple of times whilst making her way to her seat.

Marinette quickly set to work, noting that the woman had left her phone unlocked for Marinette, set right up on the phone dial app.

Marinette smiled slightly at this, then double-tapped the bottom of the phone, smiling even more even though she saw that this was the only open tab on the woman's phone.

Marinette looked up the Akuma Alert app quickly, not wasting any time. But she sat in confusion when it did not pop up.

Where was the Akuma Alert app?

"Marinette, I think it's only open to people who have been to Paris, France. We can use your Aunt Penny's or Uncle Jagged's phone," She explained quickly.

She hummed in response, slightly confused about that. It was probably the work of the Miraculous, it was confusing how that worked.

She exited out of Safari, then put it back on the phone dial app, making sure to look reassured while waving the Lady back over to her.

"Everything well?" The woman asked, smiling over at Marinette as she took her phone from Marinette's hand.

"Yes, everything is fine," She replied, her smile growing smaller.

The woman did not notice this and just smiled in return, then walked away.

And so, with nothing else to do, she continued waiting for her Aunt and Uncle.

{———}

She knew the second her Aunt and Uncle arrived, her zombie-like state being jolted wide-awake by the sound of a wild Jagged Stone.