{5} Too Fast

~~~

Pit-pit-pat

Pit-pit-pat

     The sound grew closer. It was sort of a soft, scuttling sound, but at the same time it made the air spike in uneasiness as if it carried a more dangerous tone. Not something you would want to go near, especially if it's the first time you've heard the sound and you're stuck in a never ending maze.

     But that's exactly what Blocky did.

     Blocky crept closer to the nearest corner, the closest one to where the sound was coming from. Finally, after all this time being forced to navigate wherever-the-hell he is..

     Maybe one of his friends have come to rescue him.

     Fantasies began to run through his head of who laid on the other side. Maybe he was dreaming, or maybe this was a sick prank. Maybe whoever was coming closer knew he was here, and was saving him. To bring him out of this place.

     Maybe he could finally escape.

     Blocky hadn't the slightest idea of how wrong he was. As he inched closer to the corner, and as the pitter-patter had grown more rapid and loud, his daydreams quickly turned into nightmares. Feelings of disturbance swallowed up his hope, as he remembered the chills he suddenly got when whatever-he-saw flashed in and out of the corner of his eye, all that time ago.

     He froze.

     What if I'm wrong? Could I be wrong? I don't think I'm wrong.

     Why do I feel so wrong?

     Blocky's adrenaline rose as the pit-pit-pat-sound grew closer. Quickly and loudly. It was as if whatever it was was running. Running.

     Threateningly. Running.

     Blocky zipped around the corner, darting his eyes around as he looked for whatever was-

     BANG!

     "ARGH! What the hell?-

     Bubble slapped a hand across Blocky's mouth, cutting off his sentence with a frantic look in her eyes. His head was throbbing from the impact, so he didn't question why she did that - he couldn't muster the words to. She grabbed his hand, and dragged him through the warren of walls quickly and rather harshly. Blocky recoiled his hand, snapping it away.

     "Let go of me, will ya? What are you trying to do?" Blocky demanded. He stared at Bubble, defiance in his eyes. Bubble stormed up to him.

     "Shut yoir mouth and just coime with me!" She shouted. "Oi'm not gonna leave yoio to.."

      She froze.

      She flinched.

      Her gaze was fixed on something else.

     Something behind Blocky. He turned around.

     A sharp tug on his arm and the next thing he knew he was being pulled away by Bubble, down and around the cascade of walls. He was yanked from his focus, and instinctively began running along with her. He couldn't pinpoint his mind on anything - a dreadful feeling told him to keep running.

     The monochromatic yellow colors zipped past him as he ran and turned and slid. Loud footsteps and distant, distorted voices made something click in his brain.

     Was the duo being chased? He couldn't really tell. Everything was happening too fast.

     Way too fast.

     Blocky risked a glance behind him and was met with a snake.

     An eel.

     A mesh of wires and strings and ink, twisted sickeningly into a humanoid shape with its organs winding around each other and a sharp smell of fungus clinging to its limbs.

     Blocky snapped his vision back forward and started running faster, dragging Bubble with him this time. The tired out pair stumbled and sprinted throughout the hallways, loosely navigating the labyrinth. Blocky was aware of how they stuck out like a sore thumb among the pale yellow colors.

     They stumbled and sprinted and turned. Sharp bursts of adrenaline kept them going. Blocky had no time to question why Bubble was there, where she came from, or what was chasing them.

     Everything was happening too fast.

     He didn't notice how the walls became more tightly packed, and smaller, or how the walls thinned out to create a hallway.

     He didn't notice the door.

     But Bubble did.

     She dragged Blocky along, and he felt his vision darkening from the sudden movements he was making and the energy he was using.

     He had never felt more vulnerable in his life.

     His last sights were those of Bubble pushing through the doorway. He could barely hear her shouting, and whatever she was trying to say was fizzing out into nothingness. Blocky closed his eyes, and felt light-headed as if he was dying.

     Did we make it?

     It's only a dream.

     I'll wake up soon...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~