The Perfect One, Chapter 14

Gwn'itt had been living in the shop for nearly year before the inevitable happened. The inevitable always began the same way, but Gwn'itt had grown complacent, accustomed to the life that had been built and lulled into a false sense of security. Weekly chats with Horeb had not warned Gwn'itt of any danger from angry brothers, so after several seasons had passed without incident, Gwn'itt had all but forgotten about them.

A messenger boy came into the shop, looking for Gwn'itt. Working on a display, Gwn'itt absently made the introduction, assuming the messenger to be from one of several well-to-do customers.

"Message for you!" the lad said cheerfully, then handed over a small roll of parchment. He watched eagerly as Gwn'itt reached for it.

Gwn'itt's heart sank at the cheerful pronouncement. Messengers from specific customers always announced the sender; that the sender was not announced did not bode well. Inspecting the seal brought a frown of concern, for the seal was none other than Horeb's own; the distinctive compass rose that Horeb's company had always used as a trademark symbol. Carefully, preserving the seal, Gwn'itt ran one long finger beneath the seal, gently lifting that dab of wax from the expensive sheet. Gwn'itt ignored the child and concentrated on the single, Ignan rune displayed there.

RUN

"Are you to wait for a reply?" Gwn'itt enquired when the lad made no move to leave.

In answer, the cheeky child held out one hand expectantly. Prestidigitation had a single, silver coin transferred to Gwn'itt's free hand. Gwn'itt dropped it on the outstretched palm. "Tell the sender I said, 'thank you,'" Gwn'itt ordered.

The lad pocketed his coin, and held out his hand again. "Don't you wanna know who sent it?" He was no Cinderfolk, that much was clear. Most likely a cabin boy from one of ships his brother commanded, the lad's Central City origin was obvious.

Gwn'itt offered the lad a pointed expression. "I know who sent it. Go on, now."

The message could only mean one thing. As soon as the boy was gone, Gwn'itt crumpled the parchment as grief overwhelmed, staring at nothing as memories played across the mind.

A tiny hand on Gwn'itt's wrist brought the grief-stricken mage to the present. "Gwn'itt, you dropped this; is it important?" Voni asked, holding out the rumpled parchment.

Gwn'itt answered without really knowing what was said. "Yes, thank you, Voni." Gwn'itt couldn't force the words out to explain why, though. Memories returned. Gwn'itt's last conversation with Horeb had revealed nothing out of the ordinary; it had been the same, satisfyingly normal conversation as always; comparing notes on business, hearing news of respective families, exchanging reassurances of affection held, each for the other. What had changed?

Eventually, Windy's concerned voice broke through as two, cool hands took Gwn'itt's own. "You've been staring at that cloak for an hour now. Talk to me."

Gwn'itt handed over the parchment. "I've just been informed that my father, Horeb, is dead. I just need a minute, Windy."

Windy peered at the symbol on the page. "You understood that, from this?" she asked in disbelief.

"My brother sent it, warning me to run. That can only mean that Father has no more hold on them. The seal is the company logo, a compass rose, for the company is Four Winds Trading."

"Oh, my dear friend, I am so sorry." Windy folded Gwn'itt into a hug, cool and comforting. Gwn'itt returned the hug, mostly to have something solid to hold onto and to prevent her from leaving, lest Gwn'itt's knees give out. "What will you do?" she finally asked.

"What can I do? I promised on my mother's deathbed not to hurt them, for they've no gift for the arcane. Just mind the symbol, Windy? Red upon a brown field, for their hatred of me is deep and they knew to find me here." Finally, Gwn'itt felt ready to release her. Gwn'itt would not run from them again. This was home, and family. Gwn'itt knew love here and would keep it for as long as possible.