The Perfect One, Chapter 17

It had taken Gareth and Windy three days and multiple castings of Teleportation each, before everything had been transferred to the tiny island that Rowan maintained as a private refuge. By then, the Phoenix Army had regained everything but the port, and were working to 'drive the imperials into the sea.' Anyone who wasn't racially Cinderfolk was in grave peril each time they went out, and anyone trying to vouch for them was also in danger of being branded a traitor without the proper credentials.

For Windy and Voni, it had been a bewildering and terrifying time. Deeply favoring his father in appearance, the danger for Gareth had been the imperials themselves, who equated Gareth's Cinder ancestry with enmity. Askil had been forced to accompany anyone that needed to leave the relative safety of either house or shop.

Several servants and their families had sought shelter from the violence with Gareth, and had been brought to the island as well. All of imperial descent but not high enough to be able to beg quarter of the fleeing nobles, these refugees were grateful to have escaped with their very lives. The servants assisted Windy with the upkeep and running of the island estate. Gareth was grateful for their help; grateful they'd managed to get to the house safely in order to ask for help to begin with.

Once on the island, it had taken several days for everyone to settle in. Eventually, the refugees were unpacked, found their places in the household and had learned to navigate around their new home. Isolated on the island, Gareth, Windy and Voni were safe from the violence and destruction that had engulfed their homeland. They were also dependent on the Moonshadow Crescent for supplies and information.

The only remnant of Rowan's time as a slave to pirates on the island was a pair of chains locked together, that hung from the wall beside where she'd installed her teleportation circle, and a spatter of brown near one of them, which Gareth knew to be her own blood. Rowan had carefully erased all other evidence of the island's tragic past and furnished the entire island to be her private residence. Once-dank tunnels and caves became as well-apportioned as any keep; it was stocked and furnished that way, as well. Aside from the general slope of corridors and main entrances, one could almost forget that it wasn't a normal keep.

Cheerful fireplaces, ornate tapestries and well-placed braziers or torches gave the entire compound a homey feel. Outside, careful plantings of trees, bushes and flowers provided both fresh fruit and restful gardens. A protective cove provided a safe place to swim, as well as moor a boat. There were even several places where fishing for one's dinner could prove an entertaining diversion.

Voni, especially, was delighted with her new home. Though there were other children to play with, she missed Askil terribly. Windy did her best to maintain as normal a routine and schedule for Voni and the others as possible, endeavoring to provide schooling for all five children and not just Voni.

Once everyone had settled in, Gareth had done his best to follow Windy's example of routine, but it had taken barely two weeks before he'd run out of work to do for the shop. It hadn't taken long before Gareth was bored, desperate for news and lonely. Rowan's sanctum provided relief.

Rowan had appointed a wide cave once used as a stable for winged mounts to be a wizard's tower for herself. Open to the sky on one side, the area had a full view of the western side of the island and the ocean, beyond. Grass grew near the opening, so humorously, Rowan had set up a crystal ball to resemble a garden gazing ball, complete with wrought iron garden benches and a lounge chair, where Rowan enjoyed watching the sunset and stars come out on clear nights. Gareth wondered if there would ever be a second lounge chair there, or if Rowan would mourn her beloved Trice forever.

Thinking of the gnome that his sister had once lost brought to mind the gnome that Gareth had lost, until without forethought, Gareth was using the gazing ball to Scry. Brightly was sleeping in a bed, beside a pretty and pregnant gnome who was curled up against his side in a tangle of sheets that left little to the imagination. Embarrassed, Gareth dispelled the scry.