The Perfect One, Chapter 18

Gareth opened the door of the shop from the inside when he saw Askil's approach. Askil ducked inside and motioned for silence. The younger man's Sending allowed four silent communication.  Imperial arcane spies infiltrated our ranks. Soldiers report seeing group of men forcing a shrouded figure into a crate, crate into merchant cart headed inland. A luminous image of the trade symbols on the crate hovered in the air until Gareth was satisfied. Askil dispelled it.

That company has a place, two days inland. We'll wait for the Wilderwalkers. Askil nodded to Gareth's reply and beckoned him deeper into the shop. Gareth locked the door and followed.

Crouched behind the counter, Askil spoke in muted tones, offering Gareth detailed descriptions of what had transpired. The city, now calling itself by the historic name of 'Cinder', was still in a state of chaos following the uprising. No formal government had been prepared to step into the vacuum left by the defeated imperials, leaving the Phoenix Army to cope with peacekeeping as best they could, meaning that the city had essentially been divided up between the officers, most of whom had become petty warlords. For most Cinderfolk, justice and liberty seemed farther out of reach than ever.

~~~

The creak of hinges, followed by a familiar presence roused Gwn'itt from a bored slumber. Gwn'itt smiled and whispered, "Gareth." Assuming it was another Scry spell, Gwn'itt looked up, hoping to see the luminescent orb that marked any escrier's perspective. Instead, Gareth himself knelt beside Gwn'itt. "You're here? I never expected for you come," blurted Gwn'itt in surprise. It required a Knock spell to free a hand, but Gwn'itt did, and reached up to touch Gareth's face.

Gareth looked just as surprised as Gwn'itt felt, but cast a Knock spell of his own, freeing one of Gwn'itt's ankles. Between the two mages, Gwn'itt was not bound for long. "Me?" Gareth asked, sounding dumbfounded. "Gwn'itt, that day you asked my advice about your heart, you were speaking of me?"

Gwn'itt nodded soberly, staring up into Gareth's face. How it had been missed! "It has always been you," admitted Gwn'itt, delighted by the feel of two days' growth of Gareth's beard against the hand that still rested on his cheek.

"Oh, I am dumb!" groaned Gareth as he gathered Gwn'itt into his arms. "Come on, Love, can you stand up? Let's get you out of here."

Gwn'itt reveled in the feel of Gareth's embrace, and the voice that had always hit so deep. Love? Truly?

"I forgot how good you smell," they both murmured at the same time.

Gwn'itt couldn't resist the temptation to kiss him, then got lost in that kiss when Gareth's experience took over. A tight, emotional rein proved necessary, lest the heat of passion within accidentally burst free to burn Gareth, but Gwn'itt reveled in Gareth's kiss. Content to follow his lead, Gwn'itt learned from Gareth until he chose to end Gwn'itt's first kiss.

Finally, Gareth pulled back, leaving Gwn'itt's breath hard to catch. "Can you get up? We need to leave."

"I think so, but Gareth? We have to get out of this cage as soon as we do." Gwn'itt pointed out the sigils on every bar. "My magic will dispel as soon as we are upright."

"Askil and the Wilderwalkers are outside. As soon as I open a Dimension Door, we'll join them." Gareth rose in one, smooth motion and helped Gwn'itt up as well.

Standing up, Gwn'itt was aware of the Seeming spell's fade and had to grin. "I had to hide the demise of the only floor sigil," Gwn'itt explained of the sudden cleanliness and mended nature of clothing, of the twist of hair that crowned the feminine head that Gareth saw instead of the masculine Seeming's matted braid.