23. Past and Present

Art by @virgilnoxx on Reddit

3rd Person Omniscient POV

Y/N left for their base that night and Dream told her that he'd be doing some mining so he wouldn't be joining her. She accepted this and bid him Goodnight.

Once he was sure she was out of his range, he ran to Pogtopia, down the stairs, and into the basement.

"Techno?" Dream whispers softly. No answer. He checks the other rooms and finds Tommy and Wilbur sleeping.

Outside, he sits in front of the hill, sword across his lap.

"Were you looking for me?" A monotone voice from the shadows asks.

"Yeah." Dream puts down his sword and Techno emerges from the trees and sits beside him.

"I know what you want to talk about," he says.

"What?"

"You want to know about me and Y/N, our past is complicated and she doesn't want to talk about it but I think you should know."

He sighs.

"It all began, 3 years ago."

This part will be told from a flashback.
Italicized is the flashback and normal text is Techno narrating and what he and Dream say during the flashback. I hope this makes sense.

3 Years Ago

Techno grunts as he pulls a heavy cow onto Carl's back. He is just about to turn around and go home when a twig snaps.

He turns around in a flash, sword drawn, and is met with another blade.

His eyes lock onto someone with Y/E/C eyes. He studies them closely. Enchanted netherite armor and tools, potions, Y/H/C hair, and a determined face.

"What are you doing here?" he asks.

"Just hunting," she smiles. "Was on my way back home."

"Same." They keep their blades pointed at each other.

After a few tense moments, Techno decides to lower his weapon and she does the same.

"You on your own?" she asks.

"Mhm."

"What's your name?" she asks.

"Techno," he says. "Yours?"

"Y/N."

"Well Y/N, it was nice meeting you."

"You too," she gives him another smile before turning to pearl away.

"That day I met her, I felt something for her. We seemed so alike. On our own, hunting in the same forest, we both responded with short and simple answers, we were both fighters," Techno shakes his head. "I never really wanted friends, much less a girlfriend."

"We started to see each other more. Eventually, I invited her on some adventures and we realized how similar we both were. We spent a full year together before I got the courage to tell her that I liked her, I was afraid that she wouldn't feel the same way but she did. It sounds like a perfect storybook ending, but it wasn't."

"Was she happy?" Dream asks.

"Yeah, she actually really enjoyed being with me and she eventually moved so we could live in my base under the hill. But, I made a mistake and we both should have been more careful."