Chapter 6: The Phone Call

It's Saturday, and I'm rudely awakened by Minka jumping on my head and licking my face all over. I can't be that mad though. She's the cutest little, black fluff ball. Then Mom walks in, bringing me coffee and singing "Happy Birthday." With all the Hayden excitement, I forgot about my birthday. I'm sixteen today! She pulls back my curtain and the Saturday sun shines through the window and onto my light purple bedroom walls.

Mom curls up on my bed next to me with her coffee. "Okay so let's talk about today. How about we get in a run, make breakfast, then we'll pick up Maggie for the spa appointment. We can grab lunch somewhere and do some shopping. Then pizza and a movie here?"

"That sounds so perfect, Mom. Thank you!" She kisses my forehead, then we talk more about Hayden. I tell her about him asking for my phone number, and we daydream about our next date.

We take the morning slowly, then head to the town park that's just a few miles from our neighborhood. It's a warm eighty-three degrees outside, and there's a gentle breeze. Despite the heat, it feels amazing to me. It's one of those days where you step outside and you can just breathe better. The sun is bright already, and there's not a cloud in sight. The park is a sea of lush green plants and trees, with sprinkles of color from the new blooming flowers. Lantanas, Petunias, and Begonias are scattered throughout the park, bringing a warm feeling of new beginnings. A small creek runs through the center of the park, where the local park ducks splash around. Birds sing background music, and I hear the faint laughter of a father and son playing catch. The most perfect way to start my birthday.

Even though running is not my favorite, I'm glad to be spending the morning with Mom. We jog a few miles together on the park trails. Mom is a fast runner. Way faster than me, but she slows down a little so we can jog at the same pace and chat with each other.

"So how are you feeling about the summer show coming up?" She asks.

"Good. I'm excited! Nervous. But ready for it," I barely squeeze out between breaths.

"I think you'll be great. Your technique has really improved. Plus, Elise is choreographing this year, so you have that in your favor." And she's right. Nailing a lead dance role in the summer show will be hard. Quite competitive actually. All of Elise's students are auditioning, but she especially likes me. Mainly because I take our classes more seriously than anyone else. But still, it's intimidating. And Mom can sense that. "Don't worry hon. You'll be just fine. I'm excited for you. We just need to start really honing in on technique."

Too out of breath to respond, I nod my head aggressively. I love these simple moments we share together. I just feel so thankful to have the relationship that I do with her, especially since I've seen how things are with Maggie and her mom. As we jog in silence, I think of Maggie. I put myself in her shoes for a moment and feel so sad for her. I can't imagine the anxiety she must feel on a daily basis because of Marissa. I wish my mom could be her mom too.

**

Back at home from our jog, we eat a healthy breakfast of eggwhite omelets, topped with avocado slices. Then we get ready for the day. I put on my white skinny jeans and a lilac colored spaghetti strap blouse. Looking in the mirror, I feel older. Usually on birthdays I expect to feel older and never do. But this year is different. I actually feel like I'm finally becoming a woman. Maybe it has something to do with the recent progress with Hayden, but whatever it is, I feel good. I brush through my long hair once more, then grab my purse. Mom drives us to Maggie's house to pick her up, then we head into Atlanta. We talk about everything on the drive. Maggie and I tell Mom about how the cheer captain slept with the baseball star, who is not her boyfriend. Mom updates us on some of the teacher drama, and then of course we talk about Hayden. We squeal and giggle, and loudly sing along with Jesse McCartney.