No Way Home

It was a very odd thing that the memory of young Peter Parker first removing his spider mask popped into your head over coffee.

You put down the spoonful of sugar, blinking half confused at the sudden memory, and were turning to comment to your co-worker about that funny thing you just thought about when you noticed the cut in the line of reality behind you.

No one seemed to notice. People kept walking and talking, you saw someone pushing the mail cart. You frowned slightly at the three-dimensional slice in front of you. There was a colorful crack in the air as if someone had cut out a piece of a landscape and placed it in the center of your office commode.

Sighing, you left your coffee cup, ignoring your colleague's curious glance at the untouchable drink and approaching the crack.

"Everything okay, Y/N?" She asked, but you just forced a smile, watching the instability in front of you. It was growing larger until it became the size necessary for you to cross. And yet, no one around noticed anything strange.

"Yes, Louis, everything is fine." You assured her by taking another step forward. "I'll be back in five minutes, okay?"

"Where are you going? Our shift already started." She rationed but you didn't answer further, stepping inside the crack.

The second you arrived, you knew it was a different universe. You could feel her.

After almost six years, you could feel Wanda again. Her magic, miles, and miles from wherever you were but it was still here. You could also feel that whatever the hell it was that brought you, it was going to bring other things too.

Taking a deep breath, you raised your hands and began muttering blocking incantations. It wasn't your spell, and you honestly had no idea who was the idiot trying to break the multiverse, but with luck, you wouldn't have been the last one to arrive and could prevent, even if only briefly, other cracks from forming.

As soon as it stabilized, you took a deep breath and lowered your hands, your eyes returning to normal coloration.

Technically, the conditions of your conditional parole said that you should return home now. But in your defense, it wasn't you who opened the cracks and being able to feel that the spell was still in the air, you knew you would be given only a little time. And just one second with her was worth risking everything.

Portal spells were always difficult for you. But after a few attempts, stumbling between convenience stores and rocky mountains, you finally calculated right and ended up in a large open field. You noticed a small hut in the distance and chuckled to yourself as you realized that the magical presence had gotten much bigger here.

Wanda was inside.

She was studying, astrally speaking, but the second you stepped onto the grass, she stopped half a movement from preparing the tea and turned her face to the window. She saw your figure in the distance, looking around like a tourist, and moved quickly to close the bedroom door, before stepping out onto the balcony.

The smile on your face faltered when you first saw her.

"Are you lost?" That's what Wanda asked, her voice serious and almost hoarse from lack of use, just how long she had been speaking only mentally.

"I'm sorry, I..." You started half confused, a hand on your neck. "I'm looking for someone."

"You're in the wrong place, then. Only I live in this area, and the next town is two hours away." She quickly retorted as she crossed her arms. "If you came by foot, I suggest you start walking away soon."

You gave a clumsy sigh, watching her carefully. Wanda didn't like that.

Send her away, Wanda. Can't you feel her magic? She came here for you.