In The Afternoon

Isabelle

"Isabelle, sorry I had to push back our meeting." Mrs. Strahm apologized as she sat down across from me. "What did you want to talk about?"

"Well." I paused for a moment, taking in a deep breath to gather my thoughts. "Things with Sterling and I haven't exactly worked out, I've talked to Mr. Tipton and I've decided that I'll be leaving Nashville tomorrow."

Mrs. Strahm's face fell. I could see the disappointment in her eyes. Part of it I know is because she doesn't want me to go, the other part because I know she's always been rooting for Sterling and me. Now here I am, leaving broken hearted from him once again.

"So soon?" Mrs. Strahm's brows narrow. "Is that a good idea?"

"I think so." I nod as I'm confident in the decision that I've made. "I can't stay here, I can't see his face everywhere and I can't be easily accessible to him. It'll just make things worse and it'll break me."

I strongly believe it too. Sterling wasn't just going to sit down and let me go this time. He would find me and he wouldn't leave me alone until he got what he wanted or if he got tired of me. I can't put myself through all of that heartache.

"I understand." Mrs. Strahm's disappointment grew, but I could tell she was trying to hold it back in an effort to be supportive of me and my decision. "What time do you leave?"

"Tomorrow evening was my original flight." I answered her. "However they got a hold of me today and said there was an opening, they can bump me up to leave in the afternoon."

The way I see it, the sooner I'm out of Nashville the better. Once I'm on that plane there is no coming back for me. It is a hard pill to swallow, I have so many memories of this place but that's all I plan to ever have at this point.

"Oh Isabelle." Mrs. Strahm sighed. "I'm sorry it's come to this yet again. I really thought this time was going to work for the both of you. It just seemed so promising."

And that's the sad part, it did seem promising.

Even with all of Elise's stunts we didn't allow that to get to us when we were working as a team. It felt like we were unstoppable... but then it all came crashing down out of nowhere.

The person who was supposed to be my partner shut me out completely. He was keeping a secret and that kind of scared me. Sterling's always told me everything, the fact he wouldn't budge was enough for me to know that this wasn't something small. Whatever it was though, we could have dealt with it if he had been willing to talk.

"Me too." It took everything within me to fight back the emotions rising in my chest, I still feel angry but most of all I'm heartbroken.

"You'll still call right?" I could see she was really worried that I wouldn't, which is silly considering she's the closest thing I've ever had to a mother.

"Of course." I gave her a reassuring smile. "I promise, if we meet up we'll just have to pick a different place. I can't risk coming back here for even a second."

I know he'll have people looking for me. As much as I trust Damon to keep me hidden I know how Sterling can be. When he's dedicated to something he gives it his all, with this he'd probably have the whole city shut down if he heard I was back.

Mrs. Strahm and I talked for a little while, moving on to something other than Sterling. She and I talked about some of the memories we shared at the orphanage. Then it came time for me to leave and we both pretty much lost it.

The emotions I held back emerged very quickly. Tears stung my eyes as Mrs. Strahm hugged me so tightly. I lost count of how long we just stood there, but then she finally let go of me.

She looked into my tear filled eyes with hers. "I want you to know that I'm so proud of you, I've always been so proud of you Izzy. You've become such an amazing young woman."

"It helps that I had a fantastic example to learn from." I wholeheartedly believe Mrs. Strahm is the one who helped shape me into the person who I am today.

"I love you, and you better reach out to me if you need anything at all. Understood?" She asked.

"Of course." I nodded. "I love you too."

I finished saying goodbye to Mrs. Strahm and I left the orphanage. I needed to go make sure I had everything in order one more time before I went to meet Noami. I didn't want to have anything on my mind when I went to have one last drink with her.

It's not like I planned to get drunk with her or anything, a hangover isn't exactly something I'd like to endure when I'm getting on a plane. I just really wanted to be focused on enjoying the last night here in Nashville with my friend.

The car pulled up to Noami's apartment complex and I went inside. I didn't really need to check things over, I apparently had done a thorough job when I packed earlier. At least I know for sure and now it won't be on my mind.

I exited the apartment and got back into the car. It was still the same person driving me around by Tipton orders. The only difference is now he was reporting back to Damon instead of Sterling, Damon made the change because he also knows how his son can be.

The drive isn't long, before I know it the car is parked in front of the bar. I get out and head inside, the place is pretty busy but there's a booth reserved. The moment Noami saw me she told something to the bartender behind the counter and then grabbed a bottle of something. Then she came right over to me and we sat at the reserved table.

"Well, did you get your goodbyes in?" Noami asked as she poured us both a shot.

I exhaled a low sigh. "Yeah. That about does it for cutting ties here."

"You're not cutting ties." She passes me one of the shot glasses. "You're just moving on in a new direction of your life and everyone who loves you will support you."

I grabbed the glass and held it up. "To a new beginning."

"Cheers to that." Noami grabbed her glass and tapped it against mine.

We both downed the alcohol, I'm not sure what it was but it was strong. I could practically feel my chest heat up as my face scrunched together. Noami handled it a little better than I did, of course she's more of the drinker between the two of us.

I sat there for a little while longer with her, talking about everything and anything we could think of. When it got late enough I informed her I would meet her at home and I went back out to the car. I got into the back seat and the driver headed back for the apartment complex.

My phone began to ring in my purse. I pulled it out and saw Sterling's name on the screen. Part of me wanted to answer, but it would just be opening up the same wound again. So instead I ignored it, he had his chance.