Surprise

Sterling

I parked the Lamborghini and turned it off. I got out of the car and began to head for the entrance of the mansion my parents share. I couldn't help the mix of emotions I still felt in the pit of my stomach.

I still wanted so badly to see Isabelle today. It's probably ridiculous considering I have many more birthdays that I can spend with her. This was just going to be the first one in four years, I wanted us to do something special.

On the other hand, I did want to see my mother. She's gone out of her way to have this dinner for me which isn't exactly easy considering she's been easily exhausted from the pregnancy lately. Besides, I've always enjoyed whatever she has had planned for me and I'm sure I'll enjoy this dinner.

I opened the door to the mansion, and to my surprise there was a massive group waiting for me at the entrance.

"Surprise!" They yelled.

I forced a small smile as I looked over the crowd. There were my parents and Scarlett along with my grandfather and grandparents from mom's side. I also noticed my biological mom's parents were also present, as they have been each year. Julie and Cody were also here with their children as well as Justin and Victoria with theirs.

It's amazing how I went from being this little kid in an orphanage with no family to having a massive support team. I'm very thankful to have them here, however as I continued looking around my attention was drawn away from them as I looked straight ahead.

My icy blues locked with those gorgeous gray orbs, there she was standing next to Killian. The forced smile on my face became a genuine one. I quickly closed the gap between us and took her into my arms.

I crashed my lips onto hers, letting the emotions flow from my body as our lips moved for a moment. All the anger and ill feelings I forced myself to push aside were leaving my body. The only thing that remained was the happiness I felt from having her in my arms.

I pulled away, now I was curious as to why I was lied to. "I thought you and Killian were supposed to be away this weekend."

"Sterling." My mother called my name as she came closer to me. "Do you really think I would have allowed your father to send Isabelle and Killian away this weekend? For one, Killian is your best friend. And Isabelle... well she's too important to not have with us. I just needed an excuse for her to have Friday away to help me without you getting suspicious."

I released Isabelle and wrapped my arms around my mother, not too tight as I wanted to be careful. "Thank you."

I really should have known better, she's always made sure to have Killian present for any celebration and it was the same with Isabelle before we parted ways. It was probably dumb on my part to think that today would have been any different.

"Of course." She planted a kiss on my cheek and pulled away to back at everyone. "Now that everyone's here, why don't we get started?"

Everyone agreed and followed her lead into the living room where the party was set up. Some music began to play and there were a few servers bringing out trays of horderves. Isabelle was talking with Scarlett when my mother in heaven's parents approached me.

"How are you doing?" Trish, my grandmother asked with a smile on her face. "I think the last time we've seen you was around Christmas."

"I know." I felt a pang of regret, I should be trying harder to make the time to see them. "With this new position at the company things have just been very busy. I'm doing great though, what about you guys?"

"We're doing pretty well." She smiled. "Your grandpa has been getting a lot of requests for his wood work."

"That's awesome." I glanced over at Peter. "Anything in particular that people have been asking for?"

"A lot of tables recently." He answered. "A few coffee tables and a few dining tables. It's been keeping me pretty busy."

I may not see them as often as I should but my relationship with these two has been pretty strong over the years. Every time we see each other it's just like picking up right where we left off last.

"How have things been with your friend?" Trish glanced over at Isabelle and then back at me. "Things look like they're going a lot better than when we last spoke."

"Yes." I could help the grin that twitched its way on my lips. "Really good actually, without a jealous vindictive ex trying to get in the way, we're quickly getting back to where we were."

Peter raised a brow. "Any wedding bells in the future?"

"No." I answered with a low breath. "There will be eventually, but right now I think taking it slow is what's working for us. Right now she's not even technically my girlfriend, so we'll get there when we get there."

Trish placed a hand on my shoulder. "Always remember, you're the one who knows when the time is right for that kind of thing."

We finished up our conversation and I proceeded to make my rounds of talking to all of my family and friends who had come. Isabelle had managed to slip away from the crowd right as I started talking with Killian.

"So, business trip?" I smirked. "I give you props for not blowing the cover when I talked to you yesterday."

"Are you kidding?" He looked at me slightly wide eyed. "You, I can handle you being pissed at me. It's your dad that I know will ring my neck if I blew the cover on this whole thing."

"You're right." I couldn't help but chuckle. "We don't need that now do we?"

"Exactly." Killian took a sip of his drink. "I got more things I need to do in my life, I'm not looking to be six feet under anytime soon."

Killian knows my father can be extreme, he's even aware that I can too. He knows we view him more like a family member so he's safe from us unless he majorly fucks up.

"Time for cake!" My mother announced as Isabelle brought in the cake, it must've been what she needed to do yesterday.

Everyone sang happy birthday and the cake was placed in front of me with a few lit candles. I thought for a moment about what I wanted to wish for, then I blew them out and the cake began to get served.

Isabelle brought me over my piece. "What'd you wish for?"

I gripped her waist and brought my lips to her ear, speaking low and seductively as I responded. "You'll see soon enough Sweetheart."