Something Didn't Feel Right

Sterling

After touching down, my father insisted that I go over to his mansion for dinner. I was too tired to protest the matter so I agreed. I invited Isabelle but she told me that Killian had given her a task that she needed to complete and that she would call me when she was done.

I rang the doorbell and Rose answered with a smile on her face. "Sterling, you're here just in time."

She moved aside and I walked into the mansion. "It's good to see you Rose, how are you doing?"

"Pretty well." She smiled. "Everyone's in the living room waiting for you."

"Thank you." I give her a small nod before walking parting ways.

My mother and father were seated on the couch in the room. Scarlett was in a chair playing on her cellphone. Killian happened to be here, which struck me as odd. Killian's always been welcomed here during family meals but considering Isabelle stated he had some work for her it just seemed a little odd that he could make it but she couldn't.

"Sterling." My mother smiled as she got up from the couch. She pulled me into a tight hug. "How was New York?"

"It was good." I answered. I proceed to place a kiss on her cheek before pulling away and looking at my father. "Mr. Brady was quite pleased with the location that you had me pick out."

"Good." He seemed pleased, but it was hard to tell because his face was firm. He got up from his seat and stood in front of me. "You did good Sterling, keep this up and you'll be able to run the company before you know it."

"Dinner's done." My mother informed us. "Are we ready to eat now?"

"Please." Scarlett groaned out. "I'm starving."

"Well if you'd eat more than salads for lunch you wouldn't be so hungry." Killian smirked as he responded to her.

"Oh please." Scarlett's eyes narrowed as she fiercely glared at him.

Killian's smirk grew wider. "I'm just teasing Scar, calm down."

"Keep teasing Killian." She huffed. "I'll destroy you."

I decided to interrupt their conversation before Killian had the chance to respond to her. "Shouldn't you be at work?"

A look of confusion took over his face. "No, what are you talking about."

"Isabelle said there was something you needed her for." I informed him, though by the look on his face I could tell he didn't know what I was talking about. "Did you not leave her with a task?"

"No." He shook his head.

I could feel uneasy knots coiling in my stomach. Something didn't seem right about this. Isabelle had made up an excuse to not come here tonight. Maybe she wasn't ready for family dinners which is fine, but I wish she would have told me.

Deciding to check in, I pulled my phone out of my pocket and sent her driver a message. I wanted an update on where she is and wherever else she goes.

"Let's get to the dining room before everything gets cold." My mother spoke, grabbing everyone's attention.

She and my father took the lead as the rest of us walked behind them. We entered the dining room and all sat down. Rose proceeded to bring out the meal for us to enjoy.

Once it was in front of us we all began to dig in. It was a pot roast with some carrots and potatoes on the side. Everything tasted great, then again the food here has never tasted like shit.

As we all sat at dinner my parents, Scarlett and Killian carried on any conversation. I would throw in a sentence here and there but my mind was more focused on Isabelle. I couldn't shake the uneasy feeling that something wasn't right.

I felt like I was zoned out for most of the meal, focused on the phone in my pocket. I just wanted a response. I just wanted to know that I was probably reading too much into this.

I shook my head and forced myself out of my thoughts. I can't let myself get into my own head. That's how I always end up fucking things up.

My phone began to ring in my pocket, I pulled it out and noticed it was Isabelle's driver. I glanced up at the dinner table where everyone was now just conversing. Dinner was just about over so excusing myself wasn't going to be the end of the world.

"I need to take this." I stood up and walked out of the room to give myself some privacy. Once I knew I was alone, I answered the call. "What is it?"

"Mr. Tipton she had me bring her to the mental institute." Her driver, Henry, informed me. "This isn't the first time, she had me bring her once before while you were away. This time she decided to go inside."

I was silent for a moment, thinking of what reasons she would go to a place like that... then it clicked. It had to be for her mother, that's the only logical explanation.

The uneasiness slipped away from my body as I felt the instinct to protect her kick in. Something in my gut told me that this probably isn't going to go over well. I don't know the circumstances for the visit, she didn't tell me about any of this. Not that I'm going to dwell on that now.

"I'll be there shortly." I spoke before hanging up the phone.

Dinner was going to be cut short. I love my family but Isabelle is the priority right now and I need to get to her.

Walking back into the room, I looked over to my father. "I need to leave, right now."

"Why?" He furrowed his brows. "Is something wrong?"

"I just need to get to Isabelle right now." I can't explain it really, it's like there's a voice in the back of my head telling me to go.

My father gave a nod. "Okay, we'll see you later then."

I felt relieved he wasn't going to put up a fight with me. Of course, I shouldn't be surprised. That man would drop absolutely everything to go to my mother in her time of need. So if anything, he understands the most how important this is.

Exiting the mansion, I got into the Lamborghini and started it up. I sped out of the driveway and headed for the mental institution. I didn't care that I was speeding a little more than normal, I was determined to get to her.

I may be overreacting, I may even piss her off for prying. I really don't give a fuck at the moment. Whatever repercussions I face from this I'll deal with later, especially if it turns out my gut feeling is wrong.

God I hope it's wrong.