Stood Up

Isabelle

"Isabelle." Killian called out my name over the phone. "Can you come in here real quick?"

"Yes." I responded as I stopped what I was doing and placed my computer on the lock screen. "I'll be right there."

I ended the connection and got up from my desk. Heading for his office door, I opened it and stepped inside to see Killian pacing around the room. My brows knitted together as I noticed him pacing back and forth in front of his desk.

"What's going on?" I asked as I carefully approached him.

He looked up at me, his copper orbs peering into my gray eyes. "I'm a good-looking guy right?"

Confusion washed over my face as it became quite clear that this isn't about work. He apparently called me in here for a personal matter. I must say, I'm both intrigued but weary of where this is going.

"What do your looks have to do with anything?" I questioned.

"Izzy." He exhaled a low breath. "Just answer the question."

"Okay, well yes. You're a good-looking guy." I replied honestly, it's obvious he needs to hear it right now. "What does that have to do with anything?"

"Last night, I was supposed to meet up with a woman for dinner." He began to explain himself. "I got there and waited two hours before it set in that she stood me up. Can you believe that?"

I have to force myself to choke back the chuckle that's trying to slip out. Killian has always been a ladies man so I know this is a new experience for him. I can tell just by the fact he's gone so far as to call me in here that it's had to be bugging him all day.

"I was just wondering if I was starting to lose it or something." He sighed as he stood in front of me.

"I mean you look the same to me." I shrugged as I attempted to help him feel better. "Did she have a reason for standing you up?"

"No." He shook his head. "She didn't have the decency to send me a text or anything. I tried reaching out to her but no response."

My brow raised. "That is a little odd. Did you say anything that would scare her off?"

"Not that I'm aware of." He responded. "I kept the conversation light and she seemed interested."

"Maybe she was just nervous." It's the only thing I could think of, it's hard for me to tell really without seeing the conversation he had with her. "What did you end up doing after you realized she wasn't going to show?"

"Paid my tab and left." He shrugged. "I've never been stood up, I didn't know what else to do. I wasn't going to try to take someone home with me after looking like a loser."

"You're not a loser." I rolled my eyes, while it does suck what happened to him he's being a little dramatic about it.

Before he could sulk anymore, the door to his office opened and thankfully Sterling came in to save me from the conversation. He walked into the room carefully and looked between Killian and I, I could tell he realized he had interrupted a conversation.

"What's going on here?" He asked as he looked at Killian, noticing he was flustered. "I know the documents I sent over aren't that exciting Killian, but there's no reason to look so upset about them."

Killian's eyes narrowed as he glared at him. "This isn't about documents."

Sterling arched a brow and looked between Killian and me again. "Then what it is this about?"

I glanced over at Killian. "Are you going to tell him?"

"Yeah." Killian let out a low breath. "I got stood up last night. I was talking to Isabelle to try to figure out for the life of me why."

"I see." Sterling gave a faint nod. "What have you come up with so far?"

"Nothing." Killian responded. "I thought for a second that maybe I got hit with the ugly stick overnight or something."

A laugh escaped Sterling, which caused Killian to glare at him again. All I did was take a step back because this is now a matter that they can handle.

"What's so funny?" I could tell in his voice Killian wasn't thrilled by how Sterling responded to him.

"That you're so in your head about this." Sterling answered after collecting himself. "Killian, with how girls have always looked at you there's no reason for you to think that's the issue. Did anything seem off when you were talking to her?"

"Like I told Isabelle, everything was fine." Killian responded. "She was thrilled about our date, she even texted me when she was leaving to meet me. Then next thing I know, I'm sitting at a restaurant bar for two hours."

"So it was all normal until she left to meet you?" I could see that even Sterling was a little confused on the matter. However that look quickly faded as it became clear a thought had entered his mind. "What restaurant did you go to?"

"The Italian one." Killian's response seemed to confirm whatever thought had come to mind for Sterling.

"Look, I'm sure she was just shy and nervous. There are plenty of girls out there for you, don't get hung up on this." Sterling made an attempt to help Killian feel better.

Killian nodded. "You're right man."

"I need you to get back to work now." I could tell Sterling was now in a little bit of a hurry to get out of here. "I'll check in with you in a little bit, okay?"

"Sounds good." Killian replied before heading back to his desk.

Sterling turned and started to head out of the office. I hurried behind him because I wanted to know what thoughts were going through his mind. He looked like he had figured something out.

I grabbed his arm which made him stop and turn to look at me. So, I took the opportunity to ask him. "Do you know something?"

"Not a hundred percent." He lets out an annoyed breath. "But I do know my parents invited us out for dinner at the same restaurant but I still had work to do so I told them to go ahead."

"Oh." And now it makes sense.

"I don't know if she was involved at all." I could tell he's not at all pleased right now. "But if I had to guess, Scarlett."