Chapter 1

For legal reasons, all characters in this story, unless already known to be an adult, are seventeen or older unless stated or implied otherwise.
____________________________________

        Silver woke up nearly crying out in fear. Mewtwo's hand resting on his shoulder as the pokémon's sharp gaze scanned him for any other problems. It didn't take long for him to realize that Mewtwo had been the one to wake him from that nightmare. Although Mewtwo's gaze was cold, Silver had long since learned the difference between the pokémon's glares. This one was laced with concern.

        "I'm okay," Silver assured him despite how wet his eyes were due to the temporary visit to his past trauma. Mewtwo's eyes narrowed on him, but nothing was said and Silver was left to his own proceedings. The boy sat up from his bed, quickly wiping his eyes. It was late, or rather it was too early for him to be waking up. The screen of his phone read three A.M. and Silver would have to go to work at six later that morning if he wanted to continue supporting himself.

        Silver contemplated asking Mewtwo to simply put him back to sleep, but he didn't want to risk having the same nightmare again. Five months had already passed and yet he still felt as if the incident had happened yesterday. The only reason he hadn't been arrested was because Mewtwo had taken him over to Kanto to escape the Johto police. Besides, he was reported as dead when the case was closed. No one was aware that he was still living and breathing in a neighboring country.

        "Mewtwo, I'm going for a walk. I'll see you when I get off from work later today." He got no response, which he expected. Mewtwo was more like a usually silent guardian. Always looking out for him. Silver just spoke to him anyway because there was no one else to speak to. They were the only two living in the small motel room.

        Silver didn't know the reason Mewtwo stayed with him. After he found out that Mewtwo was a pokémon that was experimented on by the first Team Rocket, Silver thought he would be hated. Instead, Silver found that Mewtwo was oddly determined to help him going so far as following him to work every now and then. Silver even caught the pokémon helping him out on the job a few times though Mewtwo always remained invisible to the eye whenever he left the motel.

        "Return early today." It wasn't a request. Mewtwo never made requests.

        "Why? What happened?" Silver had already gotten dressed and was about to head out when Mewtwo spoke.

        "I cannot quite tell as of this moment. Something is not right about this day." Mewtwo turned to face him having had his back turned all the while. "If you do not return early, I will bring you back myself."

        Silver cracked an extremely brief smile. "Don't worry, I'll be safe. I won't take your words for granted." He pulled on his uniform before he left for the day, choosing to aimlessly walk the neighborhood to clear his head before his shift started at the warehouse nearby. No matter how much he tried to take his mind off of it, his thoughts kept wandering back to his past. He was a criminal. These hands of his covered in his sins proved so, but he didn't want to be that way any longer. The bruises on his hands from his current job reminded him that he was taking the right steps to make sure that he no longer strayed down the wrong path.

        "You're early again today, Scarlett," one of his coworkers called as he arrived thirty minutes early as per usual. The name, Scarlett, is one that Silver went by here in Kanto so as not to raise any suspicion just in case. It had been hard to get used to, but now he knew to answer to both of his names. "It's the last paycheck day of this month! You looking to do anything special?" The man's name was Phillip.

        "No, not really. I don't really have the luxury for that kind of thing," Silver shyly spoke. He didn't really feel like he belonged among the men working here. They were all at least seven years older than him.