TWENTY FIVE

As the class ended, I slowly let out the breath I hadn't realized I was holding. My gaze lingered on Harini's screen, even as the other students began to log off. She seemed oblivious to everything around her, completely absorbed in her notes. The way she furrowed her brow, the gentle tuck of her hair behind her ear—it was like watching a scene from a movie that I couldn't look away from.

Why did I feel so drawn to her? It wasn’t just her appearance, though I couldn’t deny her beauty. There was something more, something I couldn’t quite put into words. She seemed... peaceful. Like a calm in the middle of a storm that was my life.

"Mr. Hemsworth," a voice startled me out of my thoughts, and I realized the professor was still online, waiting for everyone to leave. I quickly minimized Harini’s screen, feeling a wave of embarrassment.

"Yes, sir?" I responded, trying to keep my voice steady.

"You seem distracted," Mr. Brown said, his voice calm but probing. "I hope you're keeping up with the class material."

"Yes, sir, I am," I lied, hoping he couldn’t see the guilt in my eyes. He nodded, seemingly satisfied, and finally logged off, leaving me alone in my room.

Alone, except for Harini, still on my screen, still focused on her work. I watched her for a moment longer, then shook my head, trying to snap out of it. This wasn't like me. I wasn’t the kind of guy who got distracted by a girl—especially not during class. But then again, nothing had been the same since I met her, or rather, since I first heard her voice.

I closed my laptop, trying to push the thoughts away. But her image was still in my mind, etched there like a memory that wouldn’t fade. I stood up and walked over to the window, staring out at the quiet street below.

Maybe she wasn't meant to be a part of my life. Maybe she was just a passing figure, someone I was supposed to notice and then let go of. But why did that thought feel so wrong?

I sighed, running a hand through my hair. I needed to focus. I had work to do, assignments to complete, and a film script to write. I couldn't let my thoughts of Harini distract me from everything else.

But as I sat back down at my desk, opening my notebook, all I could think about was the way she looked, the way she seemed so lost in her own world. And I wondered if maybe, just maybe, she was thinking about me too.

---

The next day, I logged into class a few minutes early, hoping to catch another glimpse of Harini. I told myself it was just to see if she was there, just to make sure she was still in my class. But deep down, I knew it was more than that.

When the screen loaded, I scanned the list of participants, my heart beating faster than it should. And there she was, her camera on, her face framed by the soft morning light. She was wearing a different top today, but she still looked as calm and focused as ever.

I watched her for a moment before reminding myself to focus. I couldn’t let her distract me again. I needed to pay attention, to be present in the class. But even as I told myself that, my eyes kept drifting back to her, as if drawn by some invisible force.

The professor started the lesson, and I tried to listen, I really did. But Harini was right there, so close and yet so far. I wanted to talk to her, to ask her about her notes, her thoughts, anything that would give me an excuse to interact with her. But what if she found it strange? What if she thought I was being too forward?

I shook my head, frustrated with myself. I couldn’t keep obsessing over this. I had to let it go. But then, just as I was about to look away, Harini did something that made my heart stop.

She looked up. She looked up, and her eyes met mine through the screen.

For a second, I couldn’t breathe. It was like the world had paused, like time itself had stopped just for us. I wondered if she felt it too, that strange connection that seemed to hang in the air between us.

Then she smiled—a small, almost shy smile—and I felt my heart skip a beat.

I smiled back, unsure of what else to do. And in that moment, I knew there was no going back. I couldn’t just let her go. Not now, not ever.

As the class went on, I found myself paying less attention to the lesson and more to Harini. I noticed the way she twirled her pen when she was thinking, the way she bit her lip when she was concentrating. Every little detail seemed to draw me in more and more.

By the time the class ended, I realized I hadn’t taken a single note. But for the first time, I didn’t care. All I could think about was how to get to know her better, how to bridge the gap between us.

As everyone started to log off, I hesitated, my finger hovering over the mouse. Should I send her a message? Should I try to talk to her? My heart was pounding in my chest, nerves and excitement battling for control.

But before I could make a decision, Harini logged off, her screen disappearing from my view. I stared at the empty space where her face had been, feeling a strange mix of disappointment and hope.

Maybe tomorrow, I thought. Maybe tomorrow, I’ll find the courage to talk to her.

And with that, I closed my laptop, already looking forward to the next class.