Prologue Dream: Different

Date: 26/09/2006

Time: N/A

It is raining today. I decided several months ago that I would finally visit the orphanage and make the life changing decision, so I had no intention of any further delay now that I have everything ready.

I got inside my car and drove to my brother's orphanage and on the way, bought a bouquet of red roses to help him decorate the place. There, All of the kids were sheltered inside, away from the rain, except for one.

I was traversing the walkway just before the entrance when I noticed a lone child hiding inside of a decorative hedge. I approached them slowly and got a closer look at them; They were a six year old girl, she had long, messy black hair and wore a white dress. She was crying to herself while in hiding, her eyes were bruised to the point where she could not open them and see and I noticed that her arms had several cuts from the hedge's branches. Concerned, I asked her: "Are you alright, little girl? You're badly injured."

The girl: "... I know..."

Me: "Come with me, I'll take you back inside so you can be treated."

The girl: "No... I don't want to..."

Me: "Why? You may become blind if you let your eyes get infected."

The girl: "I don't care... The other children... They taunt and hurt me... I don't want to go back inside..."

Me: "How come? What reason could they have for doing such a thing?"

As soon as I said that, the girl extended her arm toward me and pulled out one of the roses I had in the bouquet, she told me: "Because I'm different... Because I don't belong here, with the rest of them... Much like how this rose doesn't belong with the rest... Can you see what makes it different?"

Upon closer inspection, I realized that all of these roses had their thorns removed and that sole rose still had them intact. I was confused and intrigued as to how she was able to tell the difference instantly without sight or prior knowledge. I answered her question: "That rose still has its thorns attached."

The girl: "No... It's something else... You can't see it at first glance... but the difference isn't what it seems."

Growing more curious by the second, I asked her: "How curious, can you tell me what the difference is?"

The girl: "I don't know what it is... but it exists... That difference is why I hate it..."

Me: "Hate it?"

With teary eyes, she held the rose with both of her shaking hands and attempted to tear it apart to the point where her palms were punctured by its thorns. I did not stop her, however, and decided to listen to what she had to say: "I hate it... being different... I hate it so much... I didn't ask for any of this... Why am I the only one different...?"

Me: "...What is your name, little one?"

The girl: "I... Don't remember..."

Dream Prologue:

Different

END.