Episode 1 ~ Chapter 3

"Wow, look at today's lunch," Jeongwoo said, sitting down at a table.
"This is what they'd serve for ancestral rites," Hyunsuk stated. "You know, ghosts will sense it and come by... 'Hello, is this the ancestral restaurant?'"

I was at the same table, Junkyu and Jihoon by my side as usual. I almost laughed. Never in a million years would I say 'is this the ancestral restaurant.'

"Let them come!" Jeongwoo said seriously. "I can beat them!"

I had to stop myself from laughing, this time. One twitch of my fingers could send him flying off the roof of this building.

"Is he getting more views?" Hyunsuk asked, changing the subject and glancing over at Junghwan, who seemed to be doing a vlog over lunch.
"Not exactly," Jihoon said, looking slightly sympathetic. "I've never seen his videos go over ten views."

"Oh! My honey!" Junkyu suddenly exclaimed, picking up his phone and texting excitedly. "Yay!"

"He could get better grades than Jaehyuk," Jeongwoo teased, "If he used all that texting energy on studying."

I could sense Jaehyuk reacting to the sentence, although none of his emotions were clear. I shared a bedroom with him in our dorm, and he certainly did study a lot. I wasn't able to tell back then why, but he always cared a lot about getting good grades.

Over at a different table, Yedam was still working on his demo.

"What are you doing?" Yoshi asked him interestedly.
"Listening to all the tracks separately to locate the noise," he replied. "That's the only way to find out exactly what the noise is. But it's going to take forever," he finished with a small sigh. I felt another twinge of guilt for him. I would remove the sound myself later, once I could find time.

"That's rough," Yoshi said sympathetically. Around us, if I didn't already know, I wouldn't be able to tell that his grandmother was an exorcist - he was so kind to me, I couldn't judge him on it.

Before anyone could notice me, I set my tray back on the counter where I had gotten it - not a single piece of food gone. Since I was dead, I didn't have to eat if I didn't feel like it.

Before I left the lunch room, however, I heard the woman who made our food muttering behind us - she clearly wasn't happy about the full plate left on her counter.

                                                                      • • •

I headed with my friends outside, where eleven boys from the other class awaited us, throwing Jeongwoo a soccer ball.

"I had a nightmare again," one of the boys stated. "I always have a nightmare when I sleep in your class."

I smiled. If he didn't want nightmares, he shouldn't sleep in class - I was sending him them.

Jihoon laughed. "I'll tell you how not to get nightmares," he started, but the boy interrupted him. "You're gonna say, 'nightmare' and 'scissors' sound the same in Korean, so make rock with your hands to beat it like in rock-paper-scissors."
Jihoon started laughing, then said quietly, "How did you know?"

"That was it?" Jeongwoo said, surprised. Jihoon nodded, a smile tugging at his lips.

"Hey Jeongwoo, want to play soccer?" The boy asked, ignoring Jihoon. There were ten boys behind him - just the right amount to play.

"Well, I haven't played in a while..." Jeongwoo said, turning to the eleven behind him. "Do you guys want to play?"
Everyone agreed happily, except for Jaehyuk, who walked away.

"Hey, Jaehyuk!" Jeongwoo called after him, but Jaehyuk said, "You guys don't need me. You already have eleven players."

He was probably off to study again. I sighed. How could he stand to study so much, when I had done it for ten years in a row and still hated it?