Episode 2 ~ Chapter 2

When I got back to my dorm, Jaehyuk was studying.

As usual.

When I walked past him, he asked, "Is everyone still fussing about the ghost thing?"
"Yeah," I replied. "I'm not sure if they're scared or having fun."

Jaehyuk sighed and looked up at me. "Midterms are coming up. They should be studying."
"Aren't you scared?"
"I'm more scared of the midterms."

Jaehyuk picked up his glass mug, which looked like it had been emptied of coffee. He looked at it for a second before setting it down. I unscrewed the top of my thermos, walked forward, and poured my tea into his mug. He looked up at me, confused.

"Don't drink too much coffee," I suggested. "It's bad for you. This is chrysanthemum tea. It'll clear your head." I set the thermos next to him.

Jaehyuk smiled gratefully and said "Thanks," gently nudging my hand affectionately.

I nodded, then climbed up the ladder to my bed, the top bunk of our small room. Falling asleep had never been a problem for me, even though I was dead.
It was easier than dying in the first place.

The one problem with my sleep was my control - over inanimate objects. Sure enough, before I could drift off, my hand twitched softly. In the room next to mine, with Junkyu, Jihoon, and Jeongwoo, I heard a little sound, like something hitting the ground. I smiled, knowing that I probably just knocked over one of Jeongwoo's basketballs that sat on small cans in the corner.

                                                                      • • • 

The next morning, I understood what Hyunsuk had meant by having a plan about finding the ghost.

He had a literal plan.

I saw him with a thermometer in hand and a notebook, measuring people's temperatures as they walked into the classroom. Of course, ghosts didn't have body heat, so this was smart and strategic. I hid close to a wall to watch him stop Yedam on his was inside.

"Stop," Hyunsuk said as Yedam tried to walk past him. "I need to measure your temperature."

"Why?" Yedam asked curiously.
"A ghost would be cold," Hyunsuk said, a small, creepy smile tugging at his lips. "This is the easiest way to find out. Is there a reason you don't want to?"

"Of course not," Yedam said, smiling back, pulling back his sleeve to reveal his wrist. Hyunsuk held the thermometer against his skin for a moment before saying, "Normal, pass." He wrote down Yedam's name and temperature in his notebook. I knew I couldn't avoid him, with him right in the doorway.

Eventually, I settled on a simple solution - playing late for class. Hopefully no one would notice that the other teacher didn't care if I was late, because he didn't know I existed.

Before I could leave quickly, however, I heard Hyunsuk say, "What? Let me try again."

Asahi was having his temperature taken, and Hyunsuk looked extremely confused. Was he colder than normal?

"Stop," Asahi muttered, then turned to walk away. "Wait-" Hyunsuk started, grabbing Asahi's wrist. Hyunsuk's expression was shocked and terrified all at once as he held Asahi's arm, then Asahi pulled away indignantly.

Probably just cold hands, I theorized. That was really the only solution, because as far as I knew, Asahi was still alive.

As I walked into the class (late, as I'd hoped), I pulled out my textbook from the bag I always carried around that held all my school things.

I sat in my seat, and Junkyu looked at me concernedly. "Isn't it bothersome to carry around your books all day?" he asked me. "Just put them in your locker."