Episode 5 ~ Chapter 2

The Spring Festival was one of the best moments of my life. Well - afterlife.
The day of the festival, we couldn't set up the haunted school game until everyone had left, so until then, we had a lot of time to burn.

And what do high school boys do when they have lots of time?

Anything.

We spent all of that time together. Video games, small contests, talking, laughing, and pictures. I took lots of pictures. Even Jaehyuk took the night off from studying to join us, and Asahi was interacting with us more than ever.

I almost forgot I was dead - as far as I was concerned, my friends were what mattered.

Junkyu and Jihoon were like my support - loyal, affectionate, and kind.

Hyunsuk was like my second mother, caring for me like I was a child.

Mashiho and Yoshi were like brothers, always being there to help me when I needed it.

Asahi was my quiet, introverted advocate.

Yedam and Jaehyuk always were available to talk to if I needed extra support.

Doyoung was a passionate bundle of care, ready for anything coming our way.

Jeongwoo and Junghwan were the only two younger than me (since I was stuck my age forever), the only two I could baby and who could baby me.

Hours later, Hyunsuk peeked into the hallway and exclaimed, "Everyone's gone! Okay, let's start!"

The haunted school looked actually haunted when we were finished with it, in a slightly calm yet threatening way. We had creepy decorations left and right, no ghost required. Not that I wanted to do anything creepy like that in the first place.

Then came costumes and makeup. Mashiho and Junkyu, as they had asked, had become Toshio and Annabelle. Yoshi had long blades for fingers, and Jihoon was like a deranged zombie. Jeongwoo had long black hair falling over his eyes, Asahi was playing the Joker, Yedam was a clown thing and Hyunsuk was a puppet on a tricycle. Doyoung wasn't anything specific, just the person who was going to direct the customers inside, and Jaehyuk would be hidden most of the time, inconspicuously knocking over things. Junghwan would be a scarred, demon child.

And finally, I was dressed with a white mask and full black clothing. I wasn't an expert on scaring people, but I had the strangest feeling that this wasn't going to go too well.

• • •

I waited. And waited. And waited.

Deep inside the haunted school, I was waiting.

I could hear the first people coming into the haunted house, carefully moving along the path. According to our ideas, first the student had to meet Doyoung and get the instructions, then would come across Hyunsuk's act.

After running into Jeongwoo, they would move on to my section.

How I was to scare them was beyond my understanding - since most people weren't in Class 4, they wouldn't be able to see me.

I didn't have time to come up with any ideas before I heard small footsteps and voices. "What floor was the library on? Wasn't it the fourth?"

I headed down the stairs and stood in their path.

"We're on the third," one of them said, and then they walked past me without giving me a glance.

I pulled off my pure white mask. Maybe I would have to make this place more scary after all...

• • •

A while later, I was sitting with my friends in a room inside the school, and everyone was confused. No one had been scared going through the haunted school at all, and our first customers had convinced everyone that it was terrible. "The word spread that we're no fun and we have no more customers," Hyunsuk sighed.

"Where did everyone go?" Jeongwoo asked, brushing the long black hair out of his eyes.
"To the auditorium to see the choir," Yedam responded.
"Wow, we lost to the choir?" Mashiho said, disappointment in every bit of his tone.

"I know! We worked really hard for this!" Junkyu pouted, his orange braids making his upset face look pathetic. "I was more surprised than them!"

"What's our class ghost doing?" Junghwan said irritatably. "He should step up at times like this."

I was standing in the back of the room, my arms crossed. Should I really step up? Or was it going to cost me my secret?
Secret.
Hidden.
Safe.

Suddenly, Yedam picked up his phone with a call from Doyoung.
"Back to our places?" he said, surprised. "Let's go."

Before we left, I decided.

I was the class ghost.

I was the most scary person in the building.

And I was going to make everyone fear us.