Episode 2 ~ Chapter 1

The music was distorted and torn, sounding like a creepy omen calling. We all listened intently, Yedam's breathing coming in heavy gasps.

"H-Hey! Turn that off!" Jeongwoo exclaimed. Mashiho reached over and paused the recording. The class stood in shocked silence.

"God..." I gasped, acting frightened and confused. "What was that sound?"
"Is this a prank?" Jihoon asked nervously.

"It's not a prank," Junghwan said, "Look at Yedam's face."
Yedam looked like he was on the verge of tears, both in fear and sorrow.

"Then what was that voice?" Jihoon challenged.
"It's the ghost!" Hyunsuk insisted.

"There's seriously a ghost in our class?" I said, trying to play bored.

"No way," Junghwan interjected.
"I'll give you a chance," Doyoung said, "If you don't belong in this class, I mean, especially if you're a ghost, please leave this classroom right now."

No one moved.

Especially not me.

I couldn't fathom the thought of leaving them after barely a year of people being able to see me. They were my last hope for curing my fears of being lonely. I wasn't about to let my friends leave me.

"Fine," Doyoung continued. "We'll just have to find him ourselves."

"Wouldn't it be better to tell our teacher?" Junghwan asked.
"It's best not to trouble him in the hospital," Doyoung replied simply. "It could get out of hand if we tell the other classes and teachers. Let's find him by ourselves."

"And then?" I asked quickly. The class turned to look at me. I tried not to look to suspicious, but simply curious. However, I needed to know what would happen if my secret was revealed.

"Whoever it is, he can't stay here," Doyoung replied, his tone calm but his words like talons. "We'll kick him out."

No.
No.
No.
No.
This isn't happening.

"Listen, whoever it is..." Jeongwoo said, trying to appear brave, "You're so dead once I find you."

Suddenly, Jihoon stood up, putting on an expression of terror.

"Jeongwoo... be-behind you!" he exclaimed. Jeongwoo jumped up, terrified, screaming "What?" over and over again.

Unable to contain myself this time, I burst out laughing. There was nothing behind Jeongwoo. At least Jihoon knew how to make me smile. He joined in with me, and soon so did the rest of the class.

"What are you..." Jeongwoo started, "Was... was it a joke?"

"Did you see that?" Jihoon giggled to Junkyu, who was still laughing.
"That's a stupid joke!" Jeongwoo pouted.

"You always act tough, dude," Junkyu said, "But really, you're a chicken!"
Jeongwoo stormed out of the room. Before I left to go to the next class, I swear I saw Yedam gently shake his head, staring at the recording that was his demo.

                                                                        • • •

Hyunsuk walked over to the area where Yedam, Junghwan, Mashiho and I were having dinner. He sat over the small round table, asking, "Dam, what did you do with your demo?"

"I don't know," he murmured. "It's so creepy I can't even listen to it for a while. It's unfair - you and I both played bunshinsaba, why are bad things only happening to me?"

"Because you didn't say the closing chant, you shouldn't do that," Hyunsuk replied.
"Why didn't you tell me?" Yedam insisted.
"Sorry," Hyunsuk said apologetically with a twinge of humor.

"Hyunsuk," Junghwan asked, "How do you know all of this?"
"I like ghost stories," Hyunsuk said without a trace of embarrassment.

The people around the table looked at him curiously, and I couldn't help thinking, This should be interesting.

"It's scary, but, you know," he continued, "I love that creepy feeling."

A moment after he said this, Mashiho stood up.

"I'm going to bed," he said quietly.

"Now?" Yedam exclaimed.
"Yes, I always go to bed at ten," Mashiho gave a small smile. "You have to go to bed early to get taller. It hasn't worked for me yet..." he added in a mumble.

"Bye," Hyunsuk waved.

"How much taller do you want to be?" I asked, but he was already gone. I smiled; I was already tall, no tricks or methods required.

"Do you really think there's a ghost among us?" I asked my friends, wondering what their opinions about the whole event were.

"We'll find out," Hyunsuk said with a mysterious smile, "I have a plan."

Everyone stared at him.

"What plan?" I asked.
"Step one is already in operation," he said, pointing to the bowl of red bean ice flakes in front of us. "You've heard that ghosts are scared of red beans, right?"

Oh hell.
That's true.
Red beans scare me to death. They could tear me like paper and burn me into dust.

"That means none of us can be the ghost because we're sharing this," he finished.

I almost sighed with relief. I was safe. Secret, hidden, safe.

"That's smart!" Yedam gasped. I took the container of red beans in front of me and continued eating it, ready to convince them that I was one of them.

"Look forward to it, guys," Hyunsuk said cheerfully. "The ghost search plan begins tomorrow. Haruto," he added, smiling to me. "You're eating so well. Haruto is definitely not the ghost."

Secret.
Hidden.
Safe.

"Where are you going?" he asked once I had finished the bowl and stood up.
"I'm just going to throw this out," I said, holding up the container so that they couldn't see the inside.

"Good boy, Haruto. Good boy," Hyunsuk joked, smiling at me as I walked away.

I carefully threw the bowl that was filled with untouched red beans into the trash can, breathing out with relief.