Episode 3 ~ Chapter 2

When I got back to my room, Jaehyuk was asleep over his textbook, his glasses fallen onto the floor. He had studied too much again - I felt really bad for him. I noticed that his phone had a timer on it, prepared to wake him up. It had about two minutes left.

Two minutes - two minutes.

I could help him.

I didn't know many ways to help people as a ghost, but I did know one thing - how to help someone relax and feel calmer.

Obviously still covered and transparent, I reached my hands over him. From my hands sprouted spiky, black, smooth bits of magic meant to soothe someone's thoughts.

I closed my eyes and felt my way into his crowded mind, trying to push apart all the complicated anxieties and studies he possessed. I scribbled onto one of his blank notebook sheets, a small anchor for me so that I wouldn't be sucked too far into his head.

What I hadn't expected was him to wake up and take a small glance at the black spikes covering his head.

I quickly pulled back the magic and erased the scribbles on his notebook just as his alarm rang out. As he sat up, he looked confused and unreadable, like he had seen my magic and was trying to figure out what had happened. I rushed up to the top bunk and reappeared, trying to act like I was there the whole time and asleep.

I watched him take a quick look at the clock - nearing midnight - and bury his head in his arms, looking tired and overworked. If only he could have stayed asleep a bit longer...

• • •

The next morning, I headed down to class with Mashiho, Yedam, and Hyunsuk. On the way, I noticed Jaehyuk snatch Yoshi's arm and run off. That was weird.

Why go to Yoshi - had he really seen my magic? And if he was going to Yoshi for answers...

I brushed the thought away as a new trouble arrived - my father. The security guard. I watched my friends bow respectfully and greet him, and I did the same reluctantly. However, he recognized me.

"Oh, Haruto!" he exclaimed happily. I was not interested in hearing him speak, so I gave another polite bow and said hello again. He walked away, slightly downcast, but I didn't really care much. Hyunsuk, who hadn't noticed, smiled, put his arm around me, and said, "Our Haruto is so polite!"

I laughed with him, knowing that he wasn't aware the security guard was my father. I walked up the stairs with them, fully knowledgeable that my father was watching me.

When we got into the classroom, automatically Hyunsuk pulled a small packet of salt out of his pocket and start applying it in a circle around his desk.

This was another thing his books had gotten right - I was terrified of salt. It could burn my skin like paper if I touched it, so this was a smart tactic. I heard him cheerfully explain his plan to Jeongwoo - the ghost couldn't come near him with the salt surrounding him. And that was right.

A few moments later, Doyoung ran into the room, looking startled. He held out his phone and said accusingly, "Junghwan, what's this?"

"What about it?" Junghwan replied.
Mashiho pulled out his own phone, and after looking at it for a second, gasped,
"Two hundred subscribers?"

"What? It's not like I showed any of your faces, or said one of us is a ghost," Junghwan defended himself. I was standing by the lockers with Jihoon, laughing as he talked with me, and I realized - Junghwan must have posted the video of my little act for him on his channel, and it had boosted his popularity immensely.

I hope you're satisfied, I found myself thinking.

"I just filmed it in an empty classroom," he continued, "What's wrong with that?"