Chapter 4: Just the two of us

Peter's POV

Class just ended and I went up to my locker to put some of my books away, remembering I have Decathlon practice, I went to go to the library, where we hold our meetings and do our practices.

I went inside and saw MJ reading a book, I took a seat in front of her and waited for the other arrives, while waiting I stared at MJ's face and notice how she furrows her eyebrows Never notice how cute MJ is when she's focus on reading I thought. "What are you staring at Peter?" MJ asked not looking up from her book "W-the-wha-no n-no I wasn't staring." I said defensively my voice squeaking a little Ugh really, way to embarrass yourself Peter.

"Really?" MJ looked at me eyebrow rising "N-no I-I mean yeah I-I mean ugh" I groaned as I slammed my head onto the table, god I just want to dig a hole and just bury myself inside for the rest of the day and die of embarrassment.

Then I heard a snicker, I look up and see MJ laughing, which is strange cause she rarely laugh or show any emotions She looks pretty laughing, she should laugh more often I thought, then she looks at me "Tell anyone about this and I will deny it." she said setting her gaze back at her book.

Still, I'm weirdly happy for causing her to laugh, like I've achieved something I didn't even know about. And I kinda want to make her laugh again.

We waited in silence 'til everyone has arrived "Alright everyone, I'm to remind you guys about our local tournament, in two weeks we are up against our rival school, Origin High. We need to be prepared for them, we can't underestimate them." said Mr. Harrington, I forgot about the tournament, god he was talking about it for two weeks now how could I forget.

"No worry, with me on the team we're going to crush them!" Flash boasted "Last time I remember, you're just an alternate Flash." MJ said not looking up from her book.

"Oh please, its not like Parker here is gonna show up, he's gonna ditch us again like what he did at Washington and we did okay without him! Beside, he's been skipping practice this past week, that's gotta be a foul." Flash countered. I looked down shamelessly with guilt, I know I left them back then for a good reason but letting the whole team down really leaves a bad taste to me "I'll decide whether you'll take Peter's place, or not. Because last time I check, I'm pretty sure I was the one holding the title 'captain' here, not you Eugene." MJ said narrowing her eyes at Flash.

"Whatever." he scoffed.

Mr. Harrington just sighed and looked at me "Peter, will you be able to make it for the competition?" he asked me, but before I could answer MJ spoke before me "Don't worry sir he will, we were talking about the tournament while waiting, besides I promised him earlier that I'll help him study since he missed a lot of practices." MJ lied and look at me.

"Y-Yeah, I-I just don't want to let the whole team down this time." I played along with her.

"Well, that's good to hear." said Mr. Harrington and he went on and reminding us about informing our parents or guardians about the upcoming tournament.