Chapter 1

Istanbul 1935

I walked in the crowded station, bags in each of my hands, toward the biggest, most pristine train despite the swarms of people that began trying to sell me their wares, and begging for money. Although I would love to help the poor souls I had no money left to give. Though I did not regret all the spending I did; Istanbul is a very fun city. I walked toward the conductor of the train who gave me a kind smile. " Lily Rose Greenwood?" he asked in a French accent. I nodded once, and he told me my berth number-11. I carried my things through the thin hallways as I felt the stares of the adults behind me. I understood them though- they wanted to know what a young girl such as myself was doing in a place like this all alone. " Are you done?" I asked, not even turning to see their cheeks turn red in embarrassment before I heard their feet hurry away. I walked into my berth, and closed the door behind me.

I walked back out to explore, and with people coming in and out of the hall there was much to see. Dogs on one of the dining tables, a cranky man yelling at his butler, a woman trying to seduce a man. All of whom I recognized but did not know from where or why. I stole a chocolate dipped strawberry from the kitchen, and made my way back to my compartment, trying to rack my brain as to why all the people I saw were dead ringers for people from my past.

I stood in the caboose waving to the people of Istanbul as they waved goodbye to the train which was now leaving the station. Although my destination was not somewhere I enjoyed, I would try to enjoy the days on the train where I wasn't there. As day turned to night I shivered slightly, and went back inside, ate a quick meal before retiring to my cabin for the rest of the night.

I read. Oh, how I loved reading. Most people would use other means to drown their sorrows, but I preferred this one. Reading gave me an escape from all the sorrow I had witnessed in my youth, and all the grief I experienced after. This time it was Charles Dickens, Great Expectations. I read, and read until suddenly it was morning, and I woke to a breakfast tray on my bed. Pancakes with whipped cream and fruit. I smiled, and began eating ravenously desperately hoping my days on this train would pass slowly.

Later that day I sat at a table all on my own, near a couple that looked suspiciously like my estranged aunt and uncle, looking out onto the snow covered land that passed by, waiting for her food to arrive. Director Bouc came by to offer me a drink, but I looked at him playfully, and told him I was not allowed. A few minutes later, a waiter tapped me on the shoulder, turning my attention away from the window. The waiter set down a steaming plate of food. " This looks delicious, thank you." I said. The waiter bowed, smiled, and walked off. Roast chicken, potatoes, and green beans; I could not wait to start eating. As I looked up from my plate I saw a face that made my mouth drop open. There in front of me was the famous detective, Hercule Poirot. This ride could not get any better. I thought to myself as I stared at the man. Though I loved reading, my favorite books were mysteries, and I loved reading about Hercule Poirot's latest cases in the papers. Though as I looked at him I realized he may not like the idea of a child boasting her detective exploits however small they may be. He was an egocentric man, but unlike most egocentrics he could back his ego up with proof. I also realized that he was there on vacation (eavesdropping is a very good tool to have in one's arsenal), and realized my admirations might be annoying to him. So, instead I looked at the people around me. And what I realized was astounding. Most of the people looked exactly the same as the ones I had pushed down from my past. There was even one who looked exactly like my estranged grandmother(minus the blonde hair. My grandmother I remembered had brown) who, after everything had happened had left me, and had not spoken to me since.