Chapter 17

We stay there for a few more minutes until we go back inside. Helena and I have stopped crying, for now. When I stand up though, dizziness washes over me, and I have to sit back down. " Are you alright?' Rudolph asks, and I shook my head, " No, and I don't think I will be for a long time. How could she? After five years, how could she try and do that? I exist too. I'm still here. I survived. But she only cares about Daisy. I know it sounds selfish, but at this point I don't care. Daisy shouldn't have died, none of this should have happened. I should have died. Then no one would care this much. No one would have been murdered, and Grandma wouldn't be suicidal." I cry, and they both hug me. " We love you little flower. So, so much. And it would've gone the same way had you died instead. Because even if she can't show it over all her grief and anger, Grandma loves you. And even if she doesn't love you as much as she loved Daisy, we love you. The same amount we loved Daisy. Miss Debenham loves you, and so do the rest of the people on this train, now that they know who you really are. But most importantly, Rudolph and I, we love you." Helena told me, and I started crying again. " Come now Lily, let's get you inside before you catch cold." Rudolph says. He scoops me up, and I giggle slightly as he carries me inside yet again.

The train is sad. We're out of the snowdrift, and moving again, and the train is sad. Grandma came to see me; we reconciled. Slightly. I told her I don't forgive her for what she tried to pull, she understands and hopes that one day I will. Knowing myself, I will, someday. I still room with Miss Debenham, and we've finally been able to catch up. She tells me the stories of different families she's worked with, different places she's been to. She's also been testing me on my geography, which I am proud to say is exemplary. Mr. Masterman, Fraulein Schmidt, Miss Estravados, and Mr. Marquez re-introduced themselves to me, and commented on how much I have grown up. We've gone through old memories we've shared, and it's honestly so freeing. I even went to visit the Princess Dragomiroff, who even thought was not my godmother, was still very kind to me, and treated me like I was her daughter. We talked about Daisy a lot, but I didn't mind. She was also impressed and honored by the fact I spoke Russian and Hungarian out of respect for the two people I admired most in my life. " You and my aunt are the two people who I wished, wish, to be when I grow up. I speak Russian because of you, and Hungarian because of my aunt and uncle." I told her. She was very touched. It was quiet overall though. Everyone was in a sort of contemplative sadness, thinking about those who were lost. I thought of those people every day, so it was nothing new to me. Most of the time I just sat and watched the scenery, or read my book.

When we stopped in Brod, I looked out the window. They brought Cassetti's body out on a stretcher, and I saw the detective talking to some of the policemen. He met my eyes, and I nodded sadly before walking toward the bar car, and sitting on a barstool. No one was talking, everyone was quiet, as the detective made his way through the car. He turned to us, as we all met his eyes. They looked ready to accept their fates when Detective Poirot spoke, " Ladies and gentlemen I have understood in this case that the scales of justice cannot always be evenly weighed. And I must learn for once to live with the imbalance. There are no killers here. Only people who deserve a chance to heal. The police have accepted my first solution to the crime, the lone assassin who made his escape. I will leave the train here to conclude formalities. You are all free to go. And may you find your peace with this. May we all." he says. I look at everyone's faces, and they all smile, which is a sight I haven't seen in a while. "Lily, would you step outside with me a moment?" he asks, and I jump down from the stool to walk with him.

" How is your head?" he asks. " It is fine detective. Though I suspect you did not ask me here to discuss my physical condition." I tell him, and he smiles. " You would make a remarkable detective Lily. I could never have solved this case without your insights. So, thank you. I am remarkably glad to have met you." he tells me, and I flush red, either from the cold or from the compliment. " Thank you Detective Poirot. I hope someday we will cross paths again." I say politely. " As do I, ma cherie. And don't worry, it gets better with time." he tells me advisingly. I nod, hoping it was true. We shake hands until he pulls me into a hug. I was surprised, but immediately returned it. He pulls back, and walks off to the station while I go back inside the train. As the train leaves, everyone stares out the window solemnly. I wave, smiling slightly, and he waves back before walking off with some officer onto presumably another case.