Chapter 15

" So, I ask who stands to benefit? This crime is the murdering of a murderer, and ironically the person who has the most to gain from this is the only one of you not a suspect." he states first, and I purse my lips as everyone stares at me. I look up, " Oh, he's not done." I state. " The benefit is perhaps to the spirit. An ease of suffering. To quiet a shouting voice in the head that prevents sleep." Poirot continues, looking at my aunt and uncle. " There is a murderer among us." he whispers. " We know that, can you please just say how it all went down." I mumble annoyed. " So, we have Dr. Arbuthnot, a dedicated, grateful friend to Colonel Armstrong. He meets and finds solace in the company of the governess, Mary Debenham who is almost like a mother to both of the Armstrong children. And so close to Mrs. Armstrong's young sister, Helena Goldenberg married to a powerful man no stranger to rage and violence. We travel also with Daisy's godmother to whom belongs the monogrammed handkerchief found at the scene of the crime. As Lily reminded me, The letter "H" in the Russian alphabet, of course, pronounced "N." Natalia Dragomiroff. And her devoted maid with a chef's eye? Who was she before her current employ? Might I suggest the Armstrongs' cook? But we are not yet done. The nurse in charge of Daisy, her newfound religious zeal born of guilt at allowing her charge to be abducted. It was you, was it not in her room the night when Ratchett came in through the window? Did you have a glass of wine too many with your supper that night? Have you blamed yourself ever since for not being alert to stop him?" he states, finally looking at Miss Estravados who was crying, " She knew nothing but kindness and love, until...until I..." she trailed off. Mr. Masterman spoke next, " No need to divine with me, sir. I was Colonel Armstrong's batman in the war. And afterwards, his valet in New York. As fine a man as God ever made". Tears started falling down my face, as I nod in agreement. " Would his chauffeur agree? Was it a bank loan, secured by Armstrong, allowing him to build his automobile empire? He's indebted for life. Who else can we count?" Poirot continues. " What of the Pinkerton detective, once a police officer assigned to the Armstrong case? And he becomes attached to someone, for there is another,uncelebrated victim." Poirot states, and Lily gasps, finally realizing what she was missing. " Sussane!" she exclaims, and Poirot nods, " You fell in love with the maid before she was falsely accused. You quit the police when you witnessed the travesty of justice when MacQueen's father insisted on her arrest. When she took her own life." Hardman begins to speak, though Lily did not realize he was a Pinkerton detective, " Susanne was so gentle. And she fell for me. Old and already getting gray. I told her she could do better, but there she was on time for every date". I was kicking myself for not remembering the maid, as Poirot continues, " Why else is a train so full in the dead of winter? Why the inconsistent wounds? Why the abundance of evidence? Why...? Why the conductor? Pierre Michel of Avignon who lost his sister, the accused maid, Susanne Michel." He paused, and my tears went from a trickle to a stream as I looked at the suspects. " Only two souls can claim to have lost more than any of you.The tragic Linda Arden, mother of Sonia and Helena, grandmother of Lily and Daisy. Retired from the stage but for one final performance." he states. I stand up, and look at who Poirot claims is my grandmother. Mrs. Hubbard. I had had my suspicions for a while, but only until she took off her wig, and showed her brown hair, was I sure. "You're an awfully clever man." she tells him. " Grandmother?" I say tentatively.