Chapter 5

As soon as Poirot started the interviewing, I left. When asked where I was going I said I was going to my compartment. I was, but not for long, just to get some things. On my way to the compartment I saw Macqueen handing letters to Poirot. I saw what they said, Better watch yourself or No one gets the better of us. This guy had enemies I thought, and I was reminded of my own note I had received, Cassetti is here and wondered if it had any connection. I went past Macqueen, the detective, and Mr. Bouc as I went to my compartment. I got my winter jacket, and boots, put them on, and went to the caboose. When I got there I climbed up the rungs to the side of it onto the roof of the train where I sat quietly thinking about my murdered family as well as this murder.

I heard footsteps come out of the train, and ran across the roof quietly as I saw Mr. Bouc and the detective going toward the tunnel. I jumped off the roof onto the soft snow to my left, and hid right outside the tunnel, hoping to get some clarity into the situation. I see him put something on top of a lit lantern, and see the detective take out his notebook. I hear Mr. Bouc say, " As a strong blood is on hand you will die." The detective perks up, and beckons Bouc to follow him. As soon as they were gone I looked to see what it was Detective Poirot put on that lantern, and realized it was a piece of paper. I immediately followed the two men not too far away as they discussed what the note meant. " I know the dead man's real name. It is not Ratchett, but Cassetti." the detective told Bouc. " I know that name." Bouc said thoughtfully. " Then you will also know the name Armstrong." the detective told him, and I bit my fist to keep from screaming. I listened as the detective began to tell the story. My story.

" The story shocked the world. Five years ago the renowned pilot Col. John Armstrong and his wife Sonia woke to find one of their children, little Daisy taken from her crib as she slept. Their older child Lily, they found unconscious downstairs. Desperate, the Armstrongs paid the ransom that was demanded of them. But, soon after Daisy was found murdered by- -" Poirot was cut off by Bouc who exclaimed, " Ratchett who was Casetti." Poirot nodded and continued, " Sonia Armstrong was with child when she received the news. The shock sent her into premature labor. Neither she nor her baby survived". " How do you know this Poirot?" Bouc asked. " Because John Armstrong told me so himself. He wrote to me to ask me for my help. By the time I received his letter it was too late." I had tears coming down my face, but continued listening. " He was found dead of a gunshot wound. Self inflicted." Poirot told Bouc. " What happened to the elder daughter?" Bouc asked. " I do not know. I do know she was the only survivor of the unspeakable tragedy, and she most likely went to live with relatives." Poirot stated. If only he knew I told myself. Before I ran off I heard him say one more thing, " Daisy Armstrong's blood is on your hands. You will die for it". The note. He figured it out. I thought to myself. With tears frozen on my face, and the new information I had overheard I went back onto the train, to my compartment where I held a family photo to my chest, and continued to cry.