Chapter 3

I woke up to the red haired lady. " Well, that was fun." I grumble as I sit up. Or, at least tried too before the lady pushes me back down on the bed. " The doctor says you need rest. That you have a slight concussion." she tells me. I cautiously put a hand to my head where I find a soft, white bandage. " I passed out for God knows how long. Pretty sure I've rested enough." I told her. " Not quite love. Now, I will get you some water, and some breakfast. Please just stay here." the red haired lady said. " Okay, thanks Miss um..." I trail off. " Debenham." she replies from the door, before walking out. I do know her! I screamed in my head as I looked at the receding figure. She had been a governess to Daisy and myself.

" Come Lily, it's time for your geography lessons." her mother told her, holding baby Daisy. " Ugh." Lily groaned, not liking school very much, even if it was at home. Her mother and Lily walked down the stairs to the classroom where Miss Debenham taught her. She stomped into her seat, and crossed her arms annoyedly as her mother left her in Miss Debenham's care. " Come now Lily, you're more unhappy than usual." she told her. " No one pays attention to me anymore. They all have Daisy. Everyone loves Daisy. They don't care about me anymore. No one loves me anymore." she told her governess. Miss Debenham knelt down to her level, "Do you know why I started you on geography, Lily?" she asked the 6 year old girl, who shook her head. " Because there are many different paths in life, many different places to go. And I would not be a good governess if you didn't know what those places were right? Think of Daisy as an unknown place. You don't know her, you don't know what she is, or what she will do. But she is a place in your life. A place on your journey, and soon you will know her. You will be familiar with her, and suddenly she doesn't seem so bad." MIss Debenham told her. Lily looked up at her, nodding, " I understand." she said. " Good. Now let's get you started on Europe." Miss Debenham said, and Lily smiled. From then on, her lessons with Miss Debenham were something she looked forward to every day. As for her sister, Miss Debenham was right. She grew to love her, and didn't feel so out of place anymore.

As soon as I was sure Miss Debenham left I was out of the bed. I realized I wasn't in my own room. I opened the door, and saw the Detective Poirot trying to open the door to Mr. Ratchet's room. " Need a hand?" I asked him, on my way out. The detective looked at me questioningly. " I've been picking locks since I first hit boarding school. Let me give this a try." I told them. " It's not only locked- it's chained from the inside." the detective said. " My arm could fit through the opening and open the chain on the inside." He shrugged and nodded, moving aside for me. I took a pin out of my hair, and picked the lock. I shook my arms out before my left arm was through the space in the door. A few moments later I opened the chain, and walked inside. I gasped at what lay in front of me.