Chapter 18

As far as I was concerned I was getting off at Calais, for a connection to London, and back to school, however my aunt and uncle had other plans. I was reading in my room when Miss Debenham came with the doctor on her arm. I smiled at that, glad that they had found love with each other. " Come Lily, there's something we need to show you." Miss Debenham said. I look at them confused, but I follow them to the bar car where there were silver and white balloons floating in the air, and streamers lining the walls. " What the hell is happening?" I ask as I look at the couple in front of me wanting answers. Miss Debenham shook her head however, and moved next to the wall where the rest of the people on the first class coach were standing. I walked to the front of the room where a decorated chair awaited me. I sat in total confusion, hoping someone would explain it to me. " Okay people fess up. It's not my birthday, so what is happening?" I say annoyedly, but no one budges. Suddenly my aunt and uncle walk in with a vanilla cake, decorated with blue lettering I can't make out, and I stare at them. Uncle Rudolph hands the cake to my grandmother as they kneel in front of me. " You both realize that I'm too young to get married right?" I tell them, and Marquez sniggers. I nod, and hold my thumbs up in approval. " This is not a marriage proposal, though it is a proposal of sorts." Uncle Rudolph says, before looking at Helena. " Little flower, we've wanted you with us for a long time, but circumstances said otherwise." and I realize what kind of proposal this is, and start crying, " Now that we've reunited we don't want to let you go." Helena finishes, and my eyes go wide. " So, if we have your permission, we would like to adopt you." Uncle Rudolph tells me, and I jump into their arms. " Yes, yes, yes." I tell them, and suddenly there's whooping and cheering. We hug for a moment before Grandma sets the cake on the bar, and gives me a hug as well. There's hugs, and " congratulations" all around. One of the waiters came in with a camera, and we all gathered together for a photo. The rest of the time there was dancing, smiles, and music. But most importantly, after not hearing it for a long time, there was laughter. And that revelation was the best part of this entire thing.