The Sacrament of Baptism: Baptism in the Bible

            From the earliest times of human history, water plays an integral role in salvation history.  In Genesis 1: 2, we read, “and the earth was without from or shape, with darkness over the abyss and a mighty wind sweeping over the waters-“(NABRE) That wind is literally the spirit or breath of God.  The Holy Spirit swept over the water prior to creation.  In Genesis 2: 4-7 we also read: “When the Lord God made the earth and the heavens – there was no field shrub on earth and no grass of the field had sprouted, for the Lord God had sent no rain upon the earth, and there was no man to till the ground, but a stream was welling up out of the earth and watering all the surface of the ground – then the Lord God formed the man out of the dust of the ground and blew into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.” (NABRE)  From the start of history, we see the Holy Spirit, water, man, the Father, creator of heaven and earth and the Son, through whom all things were made, inextricably linked.  But Adam and Eve chose to break that link.  And ever after that break, the Holy Spirit would draw mankind through the water back to the Father and the Son.

            This first drawing is seen in the story of Noah.  Everyone knows it.  The world is evil.  God decides to save the only righteous family he can find, Noah’s, and destroy the rest the great flood.  He tells Noah to build the ark, seals the family inside with the animals, and lets loose the rain for forty days and nights.  Noah and his family pass through the deep waters and eventually dry land appears and we have the rainbow and the first covenant God makes with man: that he will never destroy the earth in a flood again.

            Later, in Exodus, we see Baptism prefigured again in the story of the Exodus.  After the tenth plague, Pharaoh tells Moses he can take his people and go.  Then he changes his mind and chases after them with his entire army.  Pharaoh catches up with them at the Red Sea.  The Israelites start doing what they do best: panicking.  And whining.  And panicking some more.  “But Moses answered the people, ‘Do not fear!  Stand your ground and see the victory the Lord will win for you today.  For these Egyptians whom you see today you will never see again.  The Lord will fight for you; you have only to keep still.’

            Then the Lord said to Moses: why are you crying out to me?  Tell the Israelites to set out.  And you, lift up your staff and stretch out your hand over the sea, and split it in two, that the Israelites may pass through the sea on dry land.  But I will harden the hearts of the Egyptians so that they will go in after them.” (Exodus 14: 13-27a NABRE)  And that’s just what happened.  The Egyptian army drowned and Moses and the Israelites passed through the waters of death into new life and freedom.

            The same happened for Joshua when he led the Israelites through the Jordan River on dry ground and the marched into the Promised Land.

            In the New Testament, Jesus is baptized in the River Jordan by John the Baptist at the start of his earthly ministry.  He didn’t need to be baptized.  He was sinless.  He did it as an example for us to follow.  He later told Nicodemus, “Amen, amen, I say to you, no one can enter the kingdom of God without being born of water and Spirit.” (John 3:5 NABRE)

            We all know of the Great Commission Jesus gave to his apostles to “’go into all the world and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you.  And behold, I am with you always, until the end of the age.’” (Matthew 28:19-20)  And throughout the Book of Acts, we see them doing just that.  Over and over we read that entire households were baptized. 

            And so must we also be baptized.  We, too, must go through the waters of death so we can be raised to new life and new freedom and one day enter the Promised Land.