Confirmation: A Sacrament of Signs

                The Sacrament of Confirmation is a sacrament of signs.  The first sign we see of the descent of the Holy Spirit is at Jesus’ baptism, when the Spirit descended in the form of a dove.  In Acts 2: 1-4 we have the account of the Day of Pentecost: “When the time for Pentecost was fulfilled, they were all in one place together.  And suddenly there came from the sky a noise like a strong driving wind, and it filled the entire house in which they were.  Then there appeared to them tongues as of fire, which parted and came to rest on each one of them.  And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in different tongues, as the Spirit enabled them to proclaim.” (NABRE) Just a personal observation here, but that must have been a little weird for them to experience.  Nothing like that had ever happened before.  They knew it was of God, they enjoyed and rejoiced in God, but it still must have been a little weird.  I mean, what would you think if you turned and looked at your friend and saw tongues as of fire over his head?  Weird.  Cool, but weird. 

                Anyway, back to Confirmation, throughout the book of Acts we find this baptism of the Holy Spirit accompanying water Baptism.  We see it accomplished spontaneously prior to water Baptism in the story of Cornelius, and in Acts 8:14-17, we see it accomplished sometime after water Baptism: “Now when the apostles in Jerusalem heard that Samaria had accepted the word of God, they sent them Peter and John, who went down and prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Spirit, for it had not yet fallen upon any of them; they had only been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.  Then they laid hands on them and they received the Holy Spirit.” (NABRE)

                Here we find the first sign that continues still today.  That is the laying on of hands.  There is another sign in today’s sacrament of Confirmation, and that is the sign of anointing with sacred perfumed oil, or chrism. This sign was added to the laying on of hands very early in the Church’s history.  “This anointing highlights the name ‘Christian’ which means ‘anointed’ and derives from that of Christ himself whom God ‘anointed with the Holy Spirit.’” (CCC 1289)

                Anointing with oil is symbolic of many things.  In Biblical times, kings were anointed with oil.  It expressed abundance and joy.  In the Church, Catechumens are anointed with oil to signify cleansing and strengthening.  The sick are anointed.  In Confirmation, it is a sign of consecration.  “By Confirmation Christians, that is, those who are anointed share more completely in the mission of Jesus Christ and the fullness of the Holy Spirit with which he is filled, so that their lives may give off ‘the aroma of Christ.’” (CCC 1295)

                The confirmand is sealed with the Holy Spirit with this anointing.  We are no longer our own.  We belong to Christ.  He is the master.  This seal is the sign of his ownership over our lives. 

                Before the anointing, the bishop, or priest at the Easter Vigil, since the bishop can’t be everywhere at once, will extend his hands over all those being confirmed and will pray: “All-powerful God, Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, By water and the Holy Spirit You freed your sons and daughters from sin And gave them new life.  Send your Holy Spirit upon them to be their helper and guide.  Give them the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of right judgment and courage, the spirit of knowledge and reverence.  Fill them with the spirit of wonder and awe in your presence.  We ask this through Christ our Lord.” (CCC 1299)  After the prayer, the bishop (or priest) then goes to each confirmand.  “The Sacrament of Confirmation is conferred through the anointing with chrism on the forehead, which is done by the laying on of the hand, and through the words: ‘accipe signaculum doni Spiritus Sancti’ [Be sealed with the Gift of the Holy Spirit.] (CCC 1300)  And every person who has ever received the Sacrament of Confirmation is baptized, not just with water, but with the Holy Spirit as well.