The Sacrament of Baptism: An Overview

            In the Catholic Church there are seven sacraments.  There are three that form the Sacraments of Initiation: Baptism, Confirmation, and First Eucharist.  These are given first of all, to non-Catholics who want to become Catholic.  The Church calls these people catechumens.  They may be older children, teens or adults.  Whether the recipients of Baptism are catechumens or infants born of Catholic parents, Baptism is the first sacrament they will receive.  The only time someone is not baptized in the Catholic Church is if they were validly baptized “in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit” in another Christian tradition at some point in their life prior to their becoming Catholic.   Otherwise anyone entering the Catholic Church will be baptized.  The reason for this is because, in the Catholic Church, Baptism is seen as necessary for salvation.

            This is a departure from Protestant tradition, which views Baptism as an outward symbol of an inward change or transformation.  In the Protestant tradition, Baptism happens after one has been “saved”, after they have made a decision to live for Christ.  It could happen shortly after that decision is made, or it could be years after that decision is made.  Usually children aren’t permitted to be baptized until it is determined that they are old enough to understand what it means to be a Christian.  There are also many Protestant churches that will willingly re-baptize an adult who has “backslidden” (left the faith) and returned to the church with a new commitment to live for Christ.  For many, being baptized is the end of the journey.  After that, all they have to do is go to church and maintain until Jesus comes.

            The Catholic Church views baptism very differently.  Even for catechumens (people who are coming into the church) who will be receiving Baptism, receiving the Sacraments of Christian Initiation isn’t viewed as the end of their journey.  It’s just the beginning. 

            In the Catholic Church, Baptism has several names.  To baptize means to “immerse” or to “plunge”.  We are immersed or plunged into the waters of Baptism, which is a symbol of Christ’s death, and we are raised to new life, just as He was through the resurrection.  Baptism “is also called ‘the washing of regeneration by the Holy Spirit’ for it signifies and actually brings about the birth of water and the Spirit without which no one ‘can enter the kingdom of God.’” (CCC 1215)  It is also called enlightenment because anyone (other than an infant) who is baptized is first taught about Christ, the Church, and how to live a Christian life.  Thus the person to be baptized is enlightened and after Baptism, become a light to the world.  There is always a period of preparation always before Baptism.  In the case of infants, the parents receive this instruction and are charged with the responsibility of handing on the faith to their children as they grow.

            “’Baptism is God’s most beautiful and magnificent gift…We call it gift, grace, anointing, enlightenment, garment of immortality, bath of rebirth, seal, and most precious gift.  It is called gift because it is conferred on those who bring nothing of their own; grace since it is given even to the guilty; Baptism because sin is buried in the water; anointing for it is priestly and royal as are those who are anointed; enlightenment because it radiates light; clothing since it veils our shame; bath because it washes; and seal as it is our guard and the sign of God’s Lordship.’” (CCC 1215; St Gregory of Nazianzus, Oratio 40, 3-4: PG 36, 361C)