The Eucharist: What's In It for Me?

The Eucharist: What’s In It for Me?

            I think it has become quite clear that Catholics and Protestants view Holy Communion very differently.  To a Protestant, it is a representation, a memorial.  To Catholics, the Eucharist is a memorial, but it is also so much more.  It is a re-presentation of the sacrifice of Jesus, which is offered to the Father by the Church.  It is a meal of thanksgiving (“Eucharist” means “thanksgiving”) whereby we give thanks to God for the gift of salvation.  It reminds us that this world is not the end of all things, because it calls to mind, not only Jesus’ death and resurrection, but also the promise of his coming again in glory.  It is the real presence of Jesus, body, blood, soul and divinity ever present in our midst in the form of bread and wine. 

It is because of these differences in the understanding of the teachings of both St. Paul in 1 Corinthians 11, and also of Jesus himself in John 6, that Catholics and Protestants do not share a common communion.  By that I mean that out of respect for the doctrine and theology of our Protestant brothers and sisters, a Catholic will not receive Holy Communion if they are at a Protestant church, and we ask our Protestant brothers and sisters to refrain from receiving the Eucharist if they are at a Catholic Mass.  For how can we partake together of the meal of unity and community, if we are not one community, united in belief?

It is also because these differences, that some from a Protestant tradition view some of the Catholic practices with suspicion.  I don’t think this is done out of malice, at least not usually, but from a lack of understanding.  That is why I have mentioned repeatedly that, to a Catholic, the Eucharist is not just bread and wine.  It is Jesus.  This is why a Catholic will either genuflect or bow deeply when in front of the tabernacle.  Housed inside that tabernacle is Jesus Christ, King of Kings and Lord of Lords, veiled from our eyes in the form of bread.

It is also why Catholics practice Eucharistic Adoration.  We do not adore bread.  We adore Jesus Christ, hidden in the bread.  Really present in the bread.  “The Church and the world have a great need for Eucharistic worship.  Jesus awaits us in this sacrament of love.  Let us not refuse the time to go to meet him in adoration, in contemplation full of faith, and open to making amends for the serious offenses and crimes of the world.  Let our adoration never cease.” (CCC 1380)

Finally, it is why Catholics have the opportunity for daily Mass.  Each day we have the chance to go and receive Jesus Christ, body, blood, soul and divinity into ourselves.  To be consumed by him, just as we consume him hidden in the consecrated Host.  In every Christian tradition, Catholic or Protestant, when we pray the Our Father (the Lord’s Prayer) we pray the line, “Give us this day our daily bread.”  And every day, that daily bread for our souls is provided in the Mass.  The banquet is laid, all we have to do is come and eat.  Yet we don’t.  Even when we are available, we don’t.  Because we’re too busy.  Because we’d rather sleep in. 

So, what’s in the Eucharist for me?  Jesus.  It’s as simple and as profound as that.  The eternal Son of the Living God, the second person of the Most Holy Trinity, has come to us.  He abides with us in the form of bread and wine.  He wants to be consumed by us for when he is consumed by us, he in turn consumes us.  Until we eat, sleep and breathe Jesus.  Until he becomes the center of our very lives.  Until we are all his, and only his.  That’s what is waiting in the Eucharist for each of us.  Oh Lord, may we all become a Eucharistic people.