Chapter 8: The Hangout...Gone Wrong

Chuuya and Akutagawa had decided to hang out, so they left the Mafia's headquarters and walked off a short distance.

Despite himself, part of Akutagawa wanted to consider this a date. But that doesn't make sense. I don't even know if Chuuya sees me that way, and I haven't even confessed to him...wait, confess?! Confess what? Ugh...leave me alone, you cruel confusion... Akutagawa thought as he walked beside Chuuya. If he wished this was a date, that had to mean something...right?

Chuuya glanced over at Akutagawa, taking note of his expression. He's looking that way again...

Akutagawa glanced back at Chuuya.

"You still look really conflicted," Chuuya remarked.

"I do?" Akutagawa asked.

Chuuya nodded.

Darn it, Akutagawa thought. "Welp, I guess I was wrong when I thought I was good at hiding things."

"No offense, but yeah," Chuuya agreed.

"Ouch," Akutagawa joked.

Chuuya laughed. "Don't worry, Akutagawa. I don't mean it in a bad way at all. It's not bad that you're an open book. I actually think it's really adorable."

Akutagawa's face heated up.

Right at that moment, Chuuya realized his mistake. "I mean...um, you probably get that a lot, so I doubt it means much coming from me...please disregard that statement..."

Akutagawa shook his head. "I don't get it a lot at all, actually. You're the only one who says stuff like that to me. And well...even if I did often hear that, it still means a lot coming from you, so why would I disregard it?"

Now it was Chuuya's turn to blush. Just some words that anyone could've said to Akutagawa meant a lot when they came from Chuuya? "Honestly, I don't get how more people don't say that stuff to you. You're an amazing person." I've done it again...

Akutagawa's face began to heat up even more and he averted his gaze. "Thanks, Chuuya..."

"Anytime, Ryu," Chuuya replied. Jeez, how often am I going to say stuff like this?! I don't wanna make him die of embarrassment! I don't want to die of embarrassment, either!

At this point, Akutagawa's face had grown warm enough to rival the sun. "I've...never been called that before."

"Oh...sorry. Should I have not said it?" Chuuya asked.

Akutagawa shook his head rapidly. "No, no, I like it. Please don't stop."

Chuuya smiled. "Cool. In that case, I won't."

Akutagawa managed a small smile.

The two of them walked a bit further. They didn't feel the need to say anything more yet, it was enough for them to just feel comfortable with each other in the silence.

Before long, they reached a large tree that felt like it was in the middle of nowhere. That was exactly what made it feel like a good hangout spot. Chuuya and Akutagawa sat down next to each other.

Chuuya stole a small glance at Akutagawa. He's the most adorable person I know...

Akutagawa caught Chuuya looking at him and just gazed back. He's amazing, how did I get lucky enough to know him?

The two of them just stayed that way for a few minutes until they caught themselves and awkwardly looked away.

"Sorry for staring..." Chuuya apologized.