Aches

Explanations for shortcuts:

Y/N- Your name

H/N- Horse's name

Enjoy!

________________________________________________________________

It has been six months.

Summer came in its own time, drifting in on a spring wind, wakening with the kind of warmth that flows to the core. Through the windows it sent light, spreading rainbows over the jorvegian green lands. Then there came the sound that has been absent for the cooler months, the steady buzz of young bees, ready to seek blooms just as pretty as they.

In those days you used to be saving the world, the older ones were set in their ways, yet it was as if people around you were ready for something new. They wanted a world with no threat, a free world where you had the best institutions run by you because you loved to help each other.

But you didn't.

You saw the same misery in the Druids as the day you found out you were Pandorian. You felt like you were drowning in your own patheticness. Fighting for the ones who fought you felt like a betrayal.

Was it a betrayal if there was no one to betray anymore?

On your way to the graveyard at Doyle's Abbey, the place of Alex's burial, you held a bouquet of gladioli. Together with H/N, you pranced on the road from Fort Pinta, your perfect gait parting fresh winds as you went.

That path reminded you of a book you read from an author well known across the island. Books, they had the power to help you travel through worlds without moving from your places. In addition, books also enhanced your imagination.

As you got closer to the headed location, you noticed a familiar figure leaning against the gravestone, quietly letting out small breaths. Her eyes were closed as her mind drifted to a world too far for you to reach.

Maya wasn't feeling well. You knew she wasn't. Yet, she was the light everyone earned to see at the end of the day, a sun that shone brighter than any other could. Ever since Alex passed, she has been trying to hold herself above water even if it was obvious that she needed a shoulder to cry on, someone to show her that it's okay not to be okay.

You silently sat next to her, putting the flowers on the grave.

"Hey," You mumbled.

Maya shrugged.

"Hello," She sat straight, "I'm sorry,"

You turned your head to her. 

"Decided to take a nap?" You asked.

"I couldn't... um," Maya stuttered, the lag in her brain making her words clumsy. She paused, collecting herself. Her mouth tasted bitter, filmy. 

"I ended up just staring at the grave, and I couldn't get my hands to quit shaking. So I- so, I uh-" She gestured to the ground.

Her heart was beating uncomfortably under her ribs as her stomach churned. Sleeping on the cold dirt had been a bad idea. Or maybe having no time for breakfast just did that. She couldn't remember at that moment how much time she spent sitting there.

She watched you as you pulled her closer to you and wrapped your arms around her. It was a lot more awkward than you could have ever imagined, but you liked it. She was your friend and you loved to be with her and you hugging her was different; a good different.

At that moment her arms squeezed a fraction tighter and Maya breathed more slowly, her body melting into her yours as every muscle lost its tension to the calm summer air. 

"She promised me we would lead a happy life together," She whispered, her throat tightening, "I still hear her sometimes, in my head. I don't want to move on. I don't want to accept the fact that for the rest of my life I'll wake up every day knowing that I won't see her,"

She looked up at you, "Y/N, am I going insane?"

You got her. Both of you lost someone in your lives. Everyone was told this was going to happen at least once in their life, but you could never be prepared for it. You didn't know what to say, you were totally speechless. You burned up and felt dizzy but no tears would come. You had to get out of there, to escape, runaway anything to make this feeling fade. You just didn't want to believe it had happened after everything. Part of you wanted to cry your heart out and the other part wanted to hit something with the anger that raged inside you.

Ydris said he left because he had to. If there was any truth in that statement, you couldn't tell. It felt like years since it happened. Every day passed by so slowly, making you feel the pain for too long. You had trouble understanding yourself for you learned that you weren't even from this world. And there was no one who could stand by your side and guide you through the mess.

You knew how it felt to be alone. Because of that, you were determined to get Maya out of her doubts and fears.

You rubbed her back as you shook your head, "No, Maya. It will be okay,"

She smiled sadly, pulling away, "Thank you,"

Suddenly, her phone rang. She took it out and jumped at what she saw. Standing up, she put her palms against each other in an apologetic way.

"I'm sorry, but I really have to get back. Mr. Moorland is gonna be furious if I'm late again,"

You chuckled, "Have fun,"

Maya rolled her eyes, and with a smile, she waved from the distance.

There were still many errands awaiting you today. Looking at the grave one last time, Carefully, you traced the letters engraved in the white marble stone; Alex Cloudmill. She always had a peculiar name, saying it felt like coming home after a tiring journey. 

Memories of her flooded your mind, her smell lingered in the graveyard, reminding you of her presence. You felt a rather warm breeze sweep across your cheek, which sent a shiver down your spine. You shuddered. Was she here? Could she see how much so many hearts longed for her? You hoped with all your strength she knew. Now that you were alone, the silence closed in on you.

Sunlight flowed through the leaves above, bright streams igniting every gap. It was as if there was pure joy in the light, as if it were happy to create art where it shone, warm and steady. It was like the smiles of friends, as fresh rain after summer sun, something to quench and soothe all at once.

It was the time for you to leave. Your next stop was Big Bonny's home, for she asked you to help with her next project. Bonny always came up with the most craziest, yet helpful ideas. 

And so, you left the graveyard, ready for anything that might occur. 

Or so you thought.