Shattered

Explanations for shortcuts:

Y/N- Your name

Enjoy!

_______________________________________________________________________________

You stumbled as you landed on the ground, the surroundings feeling different. You appeared back in Pandoria, at the same spot as before.

Immediately looking at Ydris, you saw him processing what just happened. 

Ydris' breath trembled as his lips shook lightly. His mouth was agape slightly, a vertical wrinkle appearing between his eyebrows. He was not looking at you, not even knowing what to do first. 

Suddenly, he glanced at you and let your hand go.

The glance was unlike all others. It was an intense, fevered stare. Despite the fact that his body was still, it seemed as if it was on the verge of breaking.

Ydris no longer looked as if he was looking at his lover. He was looking at an enemy.

"It's okay..." You almost whispered, feeling your chest fill with fear. Fear of losing him.

"It's okay?" He frowned his eyebrows, "It's okay?!"

"Listen," Breathing out, you tried to calm him down, even though you yourself were close to panicking, "We don't know anything for sure,"

"Oh, a map of Pandoria just laying around that chipmunk's, who also happens to be the leader of an association of Druids who wish we didn't exist, table. Nothing unusual, right?" He threw his hands around.

"I assume that was sarcasm," 

He had responded to your awkward attempt at humour not with derision nor even with faked laughter, but with a frustrated sigh.

"Yes," He said, turning his back to you.

There was a while of silence. You didn't know what to say.

Should you think of a way to solve this? Should you comfort him?

Before you could do any of that, he spoke up.

"Why are you here?"

His question took you aback.

"I already told you, I am here for you," You answered with a confused tone.

He swallowed, fighting the urge to take you in his arms and embrace you there and then, "But what made you think coming here was a good idea?"

"Well," You stuttered. In truth, you had no idea. 

Love makes you do crazy things. 

No matter if it affects your career, your happiness, or your death.

It was love that made you think coming here was a good idea. It was the image of him holding you close, of seeing him when you wake up every morning and his presence when you close your eyes every night.

But that was not a reasonable excuse.

It was all so silly. It was all so real. It was all so frustrating. It was all so painful. You wouldn't have had it any other way. 

You still longed to hold on.

"I warned you. You knew this was going to happen," He said, his voice sounding desperate.

Your eyes started to water.

"I," You breathed out, "I'm sorry,"

Ydris' eyes shone, but there was no sign of a happy spark. He looked miserable.

"We're gonna die," He cried out.

Silence filled the space once again.

For a moment he looked at you as if he'd been speaking a language you couldn't understand. That moment his words stopped was the moment your heart broke.

"Ydris," You stepped closer to him, carefully taking your hand up to caress his cheek, "We will fight. I promise that we will be alright. We are strong,"

A tear ran down his cheek.

"No," His voice shook, "We have been here once. Everything was gone,"

"Look at us. We didn't lose everything. We have each other and everyone in the village," You smiled in an attempt to ease the conversation.

He took you by your wrist and took your hand away from his face.

"You don't know anything about what we lost," His nose wrinkled in anger, "You don't remember,"

You looked him in the eyes.

It was as if you didn't know him anymore. As if it wasn't the same man you kissed so passionately, the same man whose touch lit up sparkles in your chest and belly.

He felt like someone else.

As if it wasn't your Ydris. Only Ydris.

The wind had picked up.

It swept over you and tossed your hair, and it howled in your ears as you were frozen in place. The waves on the lake increased their size as they crashed to the shore.

He stood there as if your feat to get to him was nothing, as if you didn't just travel to a different dimension to hold his hand, just in case he needed you. 

You didn't even know if he did.

But you did need him. He simply had no idea that you did.

You returned the favour. And he hated it.

"I love you," Your voice caught. Now, both of you were crying, "We can do this,"

You smiled through your tears.

He didn't.

Yet, he laced your fingers with his.

A wave of relief washed over you at his action.

You waited for him to say something, but he stayed quiet, looking at you.

"You can do this," You continued quietly.

Ydris startles, and then he sighed. He shook his head and leaned in, tracing his lips over yours.

"I'm sorry," He whispered before his hands found your waist and you drowned in his eyes and inhaled his breath. It felt as if darkness closed in around you until there was nothing but the tenderness of his hands.

There is so much to be done, so many things to hope for.

You didn't really know whether you could do this. It's war.

Can anyone be ever ready for such a thing?  

You didn't want to let Ydris down. Or anyone else. Not anymore.

But, even if just for a moment, you closed your eyes and leaned into his touch, and remembered what it was like when it was just you two against the night.