The Other Side of Peace

Explanations for shortcuts:

Y/N- Your name

Enjoy!

______________________________________________________________________________

A shout echoes through the streets, and you froze. Another shout, followed by a crash, and then splintering wood. Then a woman's scream.

You and Ydris exchanged a glance, he went for the door.

An explosion rocked through the house, causing the ground to shake and furniture to rattle. The light outside flared with blinding brightness before dying altogether under the smoke, plunging the houses into sudden flickering shadows.

Something was burning, somewhere as a different explosion occurred, somehow closer. 

"All hands on deck!" 

The scent in the air was different than wood smoke, making the back of your throat scratch and taste bitter.

Ydris shouted something, but your heartbeat was so loud in your ears that everything was muffled. You were aware of a hand closing over your wrist.

You heard glass shatter and Ydris tugged at your hand, pulling you into the darkness.

You knew they would find you.

You didn't expect it to be today, now.

You didn't expect to be from all sides. 

The streets were full of smoke and sudden flickers of fire. The crowd surged against you down the hill, not sure of the direction they should run in. Your fingers were numb, and then you realized that you no longer felt a grip on your wrist. 

You couldn't see him. Too many bodies were in the way.

A swip of crossbows could be heard from above through the noise, and they hit something, you had no idea what.

You looked up and stepped more forward.

Tens of Druids were lined up in the saddle of the hill, ready to shoot another round of arrows lit up on fire. Masks covered their faces, reminding you of what you learned as a Keeper of Aideen, that mere humans and other Non-Pandorian beings had to wear somewhat magical protection to keep the realm's effects from hurting them.

You saw a set of ears coming from behind the horizon, the individual slowly showing himself.

"Y/N, at last,"

You fought over a sob.

"What are you doing?" Your voice choked.

Fripp sighed, "Taking what always should've been ours,"

"No," You mumbled, shaking your head, "None of this was ever meant to be yours,"

Looking behind you, you saw guards in battle positions, awaiting something to happen.

"How..." You stuttered, looking back at the Druids, "How did you find us?"

Fripp stayed quiet for a while, seemingly considering something. Then, his eyes slightly squinted as he glared down at you. The Soul Riders stepped from behind him together with Evergray and Avalon, a barely noticeable smirk on his face. You almost felt sorry for them, but deep inside you knew they were the ones to spill your secret. Thanks to them, the Druids knew you were Pandorian. They knew all along.

"Oh, that part was likely the easiest one of them all," Avalon chuckled as if trying to make your patheticness obvious, "We had help, of course, but it was mostly you, yourself,"

You frowned your eyebrows, "What?"

Suddenly, you heard a familiar voice call out your name. You turned in the direction of the noise.

Rhoda was limping towards you, trying as hard as she could to get to you in time.

"No!" You shouted, raising your arm, "Don't. Stay where you are,"

"Oh, she won't be of use anymore," 

Your eyes widened.

Oh no.

Oh no, no.

Darko stood close by, leaning against one of the few houses that were not on fire.

"Is there anyone else who wants to dramatically show up?" You grunted.

There was a shift above, a movement, on one of the roofs you saw the Dark Riders sitting, supporting their hands with their palms.

"Listen, we didn't want to come," Sabine sighed, annoyed.

"What is this?" You turned back to Fripp, "Some kind of collaboration?"

Darko reached into his pocket and pulled out a sheet of paper, "Exactly. And I'm ready to throw this 'contract' of theirs into the flames if they try anything against us,"

"Put in more appropriate words, both sides want power. And neither of us can have it as long as you exist, "Avalon spat out.

"Appropriate words, huh?" You rolled your eyes.

"Enough!" Fripp shouted, hitting his wand against the ground, "If you don't surrender now, we will fire,"

The Druids raised their crossbows as even more people showed up from behind them, ready to cast deathly spells.

Silence fell. You glanced at Lisa and Linda, who were staring at their feet, ashamed. They refused to look you in the eyes. 

"I will ask again," You gritted your teeth, "How did you find us?"

Darko took out a small remote and without hesitation, he pressed the visible red button. 

You were anticipating either an explosion, or maybe the appearance of some kind of machine, but there was nothing you could see.

It wasn't until you heard a tumbling sound nearby that your attention was drawn.

"Rhoda!" You called as you ran to the girl who fell to the ground.

She was cold, and what shocked you the most was that her eyes were wide open.

But there was nothing in her eyes. Nothing at all.

Just dull black spots, without any light.

"What did you do to her?!" You cried out.

"Oh, me?" Darko pointed to his chest, "Nothing at all. I just turned her off,"

Afterwards, he proceeded to throw the remote at you.

"You know, it is kind of funny," He smiled, "We just built you a friend and you led us right where we wanted you to. Sad, are you that lonely?"

You stuttered to say anything. Staring at the remote, you tried to line up your thoughts, but it was unsuccessful for your head was a complete mess.

"You don't trust me, and I don't expect you to. But you trusted her, and that was enough of a mistake,"

Mistake?

Turned her off?

Looking at Rhoda, your eyes trailed off to a suddenly visible spot on her neck.

Your breath stuttered as fear crept up your chest.

A green blinking, quite small DC sign just under her ear.

It was her.

Rhoda was the machine you were waiting for to appear.

Then, Fripp shouted.

"Move forward, Keepers of Aideen!"