Black out

Explanations for shortcuts:

Y/N- Your name

H/N- Horse's name

Enjoy!
_____________________________________________

You were not sure how much time had passed.

Who were you kidding? There was no such time as the one you were familiar with.

After being introduced to most of the village, you learned that there were various jobs you could apply to. From protectors to medics, from shopkeepers to farmers. It all seemed like from a fantasy book, as if you were simply swallowing page after page and your imagination created a world unreachable.

You arrived at a wide glade, where the trees fell away, revealing the bespeckled sky. Together with Rhoda, you assumed a herb collector would be the most precise job for you both. Among roots and wands, amid each pink leaf and delicate petal, there were the dancing unknown creatures and the shadow seekers that darted.

You were happy.

On the other hand, you experienced much peace in life occurring simultaneously as all events bring all sorts of emotions. It was wonderful to watch the peace come and go through all the stages.

When you looked around, you knew. 

You knew this was where you belonged.

The wood in the forest surrounding the field you entered was snow-white and shining. The grasses you stepped on were crackly beneath your feet. You were in awe of the size and majesty of the trees. Their knotted arms rose ever upwards, as far as your head could lift. Massive roots spread-eagled the ground, twisting like the great backs of sea dinosaurs.

A pleasant smell, one that opens the album of good and heartwarming memories, took over the air. You now understood why Ydris missed this place so much. It was so, so beautiful.

There was this particular plant, named Letsid, that you were sent to collect. You've never seen this plant in real life, but on Earth, it was known for its unfortunate side effects. The Druids used to say that Dark Core is using its petals to manipulate their workers who weren't clones. 

Did that mean that the Dark Riders were also being played with? Mind-controlled? You wondered.

 "Found one!" You heard Rhoda call from behind a nearby bush. 

You hurried in the direction of her voice and found her grinning with the said plant in hand.

"This is it, isn't it?" 

"I hope so," You shrugged your shoulders, "Good job,"

Rhoda winked at you, making you giggle.

"We better look for more," She said, "I doubt that whatever they want to do with it will be successful with only one of them,"

And so, your ways separated once again. 

You got lost in thought as you continued your search. 

What happened to others? Were they alive? Were they well?

The last memory of Linda and Lisa you possessed was them frantically galloping in an unknown direction. What happened next was unclear to you.

You were worried, you really were. But you felt something almost forbidden instead.

You wanted to stay.

Stay with Pandorians, stay with Ydris, stay here. At home.

What is it that makes us feel at home even in places we have never been to before? What contributes to creating that feeling of ease, contentment and belonging that can make a place feel like home even when we have never spent time in it before?

It all seemed almost unreal. You've never known you could feel this way. You've never been allowed to.

Getting away from your own life and starting a new one? A dream come true.

Maybe, just maybe, it was possible.

And maybe, it is worth a try.

"Well, I've been thinking-" You started, but was interrupted by what you saw when you looked up at Rhoda.

Rhoda unexpectedly took on a pale look, as if she'd been painted with paint of lighter tones, even her lips were barely there.

"Rhoda, hey," You called but didn't get an answer.

She visibly swayed for just a moment, that was your cue to rush to her and drop all your collected plants on the ground. Rhoda stumbled forward before she fell, with you grabbing for her arms as she tumbled.

Then she laid there in the dirt as still as a corpse, barely breathing at all.

You lowered yourself to your knees, picked up her hand and dropped it over her face. The forest echoed with quiet slapping sounds, and a few small creatures watching the scene were left to wince.

"Rhoda," You breathed out desperately, "Rhoda, please,"

She was out cold, that was for sure.
.
.
.
You stared down at your hands, twisting and knotting them as if doing so would hold back the turmoil inside you.

The echoing of faint voices could be heard just around the corridor.

As you sat at the hospital, or a medical wing, whatever it was called in Pandoria, you waited for the medic to return with answers.

The footsteps of someone approached the doors then a small knock resonated throughout the room.

"Greetings," The woman bowed her head, "I take it you're the patient's escort?"

"Yes, yes I am," You quickly stood up and nodded, "How is she? Is she alright?"

The medic sighed, and with her medium build and soft-spoken voice began to explain.

"She is, indeed, okay," She began, "I'm afraid, however, that it is only for now,"

You frowned your eyebrows, "What does that mean?"

The woman did not say anything, instead, she looked at you with sorrow and motioned with her hand for you to sit back down.

"The patient is not from here, is she?" She questioned, but from her tone, you knew she was very well aware of the answer.

You shook your head.

"Right. As you may know, not all creatures are capable of surviving in Pandoria's conditions. Unfortunately, it seems Rhoda is one of those who are not,"

It was as if your thoughts became a tangled mess as soon as she said those words.

You knew this. You knew humans couldn't survive living in Pandoria.

The weight of guilt washed over you at the realization.

The medic looked you in the eyes, "If she stays here, she will eventually die. Her organs will slow their functioning to the point where they will stop completely,"

You could've avoided this.

You shouldn't have said yes.

You should've stayed on Earth.

Rhoda needs to go back. And you need to go with her.