The Alabaster root

Dwight was at Gretta's looking at the paper the contrarian had written for him. The others joined in trying to read it, turning their heads a few times back and forth.

"Ah! I found one word! I think it's..." Gretta squinted, "boil?"

Baldric went over to them on the couch. "Here, let me see that!" He said, grabbing the paper from Gretta's hands. Trying to focus, Baldric put it close to his face, then slowly moved it away. "Boil the root for up to one hundred and twenty minutes. You will.." he squinted, "drape? With emulsions in effect?" He scoffed. "This is insanity! I can make out less here than last time!"

Dwight took the paper from Baldric's hands and set it on the table. He took a photo of it with his phone and flipped to his contacts.

"What are you doing?" asked Gretta.

"Well, last time we had this problem we had a doctor help us with at least a part of it. The other part was by the troll on the bridge.." He trailed.

"So why take a picture of the note?" Asked Baldric.

"Well, turns out most of the women in Emily's family are doctors. If Emily has been around doctors all of her life, I'm sure she might be able to read some of this." He said. "There! Sent!"

"So, what do we do now?" Asked Gretta.

"I guess we just.. wait and hope she replies." he said. "In the meantime, maybe we should look for this tree we need."

"Ah, the Alabaster tree. Those can sometimes be a rare find." Baldric said, pulling out a book and placing it open on the counter.

"How rare are we talking?" Dwight asked, walking to the counter to look at the book with Gretta in tow. They looked at the open page showing the picture of the Alabaster tree. It looked smooth to the touch, almost stone like.

"They are only forged, not grown, not wood. They appear where vast amounts of magic have been cast against one another. They take centuries to absorb the magic left within the ground. The greater the magic used in conflict, the greater our chances are of finding one nearby." Baldric said, looking at his maps.

"Do you know of anywhere these trees would be Baldric?" Asked Gretta.

"Ah! There was once a great magician's tournament held. Perhaps that would be our best place to look." Baldric answered.

"Would that be in Woodside?" Asked Dwight.

"Yes!" Said Baldric.

"Great! Let's get ready and head out then!" Said Dwight, full of energy. Dwight ran back over to his house quickly, returning soon after with some forest survival supplies in his backpack. He made sure to grab a trowel from Nana's gardening set on the side of the house, packing it for their journey. After making sure they had everything, they headed towards the woods.

"We should reach the area soon. It's around 20 or so furlongs in this direction." Baldric said, looking at an old map pulled out from one of his wide magician's robe sleeves. 

Dwight took his phone out of his back pocket and looked at the direction they were going. "Northeast." He stated, pointing ahead.

"How did things go with your hang out last night?" Asked Gretta.

"It was fine. I had a nice time talking with Emily," he said. "What about you? Did you do much last night?" Gretta was a bit surprised by the question.

"Uh, nothing really, just some late night sword practice and sleep," she replied. "So, what did you two talk about?"

"We talked about classes and colleges we were thinking about going to." Dwight answered, stepping over a few branches not to trip.

"College?" Gretta questioned stomping onto the branches, cracking them under her boots.