The Carnival

Dwight was still making last minute confirmations with the carnival set up. He wanted to be sure things would go smoothly. Not just because he wanted the carnival to go on without a hitch, but it was going to be his first date with Gretta. He always spent time with her before now, but going out with her on an official date wasn't something he even considered a possibility.

Since he chose what memories to keep, he'd been thinking a lot about Gretta, far more than he ever had before. He even caught himself daydreaming in class a few times of them kissing, specifically the time she climbed into his lap on his bed. He held her hand more in the hallways at school, and felt uneasy when he wasn't by her side. It was to a point where a lot of people in school started asking him questions about them. None of them seemed elated when he would answer that she was just his best friend.

"Looks like everything is in order." Dwight said out loud to himself, giving a heavy sigh. He looked through things one more time to be sure, then set his gap book down. He had planned everything down to the last detail, even what clothes he'd be wearing. He knew Patty from the Woodside Chronicle would be there to show what all the hard work and planning had created. He didn't want to let any of the team down.

He left early with Nana and helped set up the raffle, along with other quads for events. He practically knew everyone's rotation and schedule. Gretta was going to be there a part of the day before their date to help out. Dwight had planned their date for starting at two o'clock. It was just after his rotation on snow cones, and his interview with Patty at the Woodside Chronicle. That way, they could enjoy events at the carnival together for the rest of the day before he had to help with the fireworks set up. Things couldn't have gone better with his plans. That is, until things didn't go as expected.

Dwight put on his headset and walked around, overseeing the quads. He noticed one of the quads filled with children along with teens and adults. They were just standing around. Nothing was going on, and not a bubble in sight. Declan was nowhere to be seen near the bubble machine either. Curious, he went onto the headset.

"Declan come in. Where are you?" He asked. Dwight heard static on the radio for a moment followed by some nasty burping sounds.

Uh oh, Dwight thought.

"Marcus come in." Dwight said over the radio.

"Yeah boss, what's up?" replied Marcus on the radio.

"Have you seen Declan?"

"I just found him, he's not looking so good. Something about half off sushi."

"Can anyone cover big bubbles?" He asked aloud, already annoyed at himself, knowing the schedule.

"I can't I've got ring toss." Marcus said apologetically, and hearing one after the other saying their posts.

"Okay. I'll go cover for it in the meantime. I have snow cones at one." He said on the headset, giving out a sigh.

Dwight went over to the quad to set up the oversized bubble machine. He poured the solution into the big tube on the side, which fed into the machine to the fill line. The fill line was indicated with red tape around it, which was half way up the tube. He turned the machine on with a push of a button, and cranked the small crank on the side slowly a few rotations. He watched as all the kids and teens alike had fun with all the huge bubbles getting blown through the crowd.

He noticed Declan partially doubled over, walking towards him at the quad. He was looking rather pale and sweaty, the same way Dwight remembered feeling at one of the woodchuck basketball games. He could only be empathetic towards him.